WON'T FIT!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kjdenison, Mar 3, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

I previously posted and everyone agreed i would have no problem installing a pioneer 109 dvd+rw drive into my G5, I took the old out, and stuck the new in and the height of the tray does not match up with the opening on the G5 case and it wont open. I took the screws out that holds the drive in place, and it lowered it enough so that tray can come out the front, but it is not secure. Am I going to run into any problems with this? I tried to rip a dvd to see if it worked and it ran fine, but i am curious. Any help would be great :S !

2. macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Did you buy the OEM drive or the branded Pioneer one? Last night I installed an OEM 109 drive in my PowerMac G4 with no problems. The OEM drives have smaller front bezels. You might be able to take the bezel off to give more clearance, or at the very least you can unclip the tray bezel (push upwards I think and it comes off easily).

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

The drive is a Pioneer DVR-109 i picked it up through newegg. What is the bezel? and how should I go about getting it corrected?

4. macrumors 68040

Daveway

The bezel is that plastic on the front of the drive. It's usually removed by just unsnapping it.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh alright. i dont see how that will change the height of the drive though? Im waiting for this disc to finish and I am going to take it out though. THANKS

6. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The plastic part can be just a bit taller than the rest of the drive. And because you are mounting it inside your computer, you won't care about the looks.

7. macrumors member

could you take some pics of the drive in the computer. maybe that would help us come up with a better solution

8. macrumors 68020

yippy

That is a known problem. Look here for instructions for how to deal with it.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you yippy for the link and not bombarding me with poor posting skills comments. I will start putting in spaces in between my comments and not truly express myself by using the caps, sorry for being myself, but I know how to change that quite well.

Thanks everyone who helped out, I really appreciate it a lot.

Kurt
    www.kurtdenison.com