wont let me delete files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brsboarder, Mar 29, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

I put things in the recycle bin, then when i go to recycle these, or delete them, it says that these files are locked? what can i do? they are all simple files, that i downloaded

2. macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I have had exactly the same problem (in my case, with partially-downloaded files created by Internet Explorer). The quick and dirty way to get rid of them is to reboot (if your mac allows it) into OS 9 and delete them from there. Should be very straightforward. As for doing it on an OS X-only machine, I don't know..... hopefully someone else can help out here

3. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I have two solutions for you - one really annoying, and another much less painful. The annoying solution is to open up the Get Info box for the offending files and manually uncheck the Locked attribute. The easy fix is to hold down Option when emptying the Trash; this deletes locked files without telling you it can't (and it's worked ever since System 7 was introduced).

4. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You sure you are using a mac? :D

"Recyle bin" is a M$ rip-off of the mac os trash concept.

5. Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

I can't even move locked files, so the option-empty trash thing probably won't work. Unlocking in Get Info will, but if the lock checkbox is disabled, then you have to go to the 'Ownerships & Permissions' section of Get Info and set yourself to the owner (may require admin password).

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

i tried holding down the option key, didnt work, tried opening the file w/ get info, and the locked isnt clicked, its a windows media player folder with windows media player file in it if that helps

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

a little more info, its the windows media player for max os8, by accident i downloaded that one first, instead of osx without realizing it

8. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

9. macrumors newbie

- Try 'Secure Empty Trash'
    - Try 'Cocktail'. It has a special empty trash function for those kind of problems.

10. macrumors 65816

abhishekit

one other way would be open the terminal
    write 'sudo rm '
    drag the file on that line ,,press enter..

cheers

11. macrumors newbie

delete

just playing with my shiny new macbookpro and have transfered old files from pc over. now doing laundry and want to delete some files but it wont let me. i am admin but everyt ime i put in trash i get admin log in come up then it either copies files into trash or doesnt at all. so i cant delete anything. its wierd.help please

12. Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

* A note to others at the age of the thread. Just saying only focus on the new question as I'm sure the original thread has been dealt with.
    Describe where you are dragging from as well if it's happening for all types of files or only certain ones. Have you tried rebooting? Have you tried the other methods mentioned in this thread, such as deleting files with Terminal?

13. macrumors regular