Wont restore back to 6.1.4

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by rossihvac, Jun 11, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

rossihvac

I am a legitimate dev who updated to iOS7 yesterday. Although i love the new look it is still way too buggy for me to use until my company buys us new iphone 5's to use as dev units. I tried downgrading using dfu on my imac and my mac mini on the mini i get an error code 21 and on my imac i get error code 14......everytime. i can restore back to 7.0 no problem, i even tried to just click on restore without directing to a file and itunes says the file that downloaded was corrupted, i dont get it!!! Any help will be appreciated.

2. macrumors 68000

NovemberWhiskey

Why don't you try redownloading 6.1.4.

Google ios 6.1.4 ipsw and you should find some sites. Then hold option when you click restore, and select the new file.

It's possible the old ipsw was corrupted.

3. macrumors 65816

4. thread starter macrumors regular

rossihvac

my iphone is a 5. i tried files from a few sources, i even tried 6.1.3 and it said that it wasnt being signed by apple anymore. I am going to try again in the am, i dont know what i could be missing though.

5. macrumors member

dimzen

On the iOS 7 Dev Center page, it says:
    This is a pre-release version of iOS 7 beta for iPhone and iPod touch. Devices updated to iOS 7 beta can not be restored to earlier versions of iOS.

6. macrumors 68030

But you can go back- I did.

I'm on a 4S, non developer. All I did was DFU, and then click on 'restore' in iTunes when prompted. (I didn't option-click and manually select firmware.)

7. macrumors member

this would interest me as well. for iOS 6 it also said it couldn't be restored to iOS 5, but I went back and forth all the time on my dev phone.
    can somebody try this please?

8. Fed
    macrumors 6502

I restored mine back to v6.1.4 quite easily. I didn't know iTunes automatically downloaded the software for you. Very swift indeed.

9. macrumors newbie

Just out of interest, when you've downgraded back to 6.1.4, has your baseband version gone back to 3.04.25, or stayed at the 4.x version that ships with IOS7?

10. thread starter macrumors regular

rossihvac

Are you on iPhone 5 or 4s?

11. macrumors regular

I went back to 6.1.4 half an hour ago, no problems.

12. macrumors newbie

what baseband/modem firmware version is showing in the about page?

13. macrumors regular

I've gone back to 7 now so its showing 4.14.01

I didn't check it when I was on 6.1.4

14. Fed
    macrumors 6502

Sorry I didn't check the specifics when posting, it's an iPhone 5 (UK).

15. macrumors regular

I did install iOS 7 beta and downgrade yesterday on my iPhone 5. Baseband is now back to 3.04.25.

16. thread starter macrumors regular

rossihvac

I don't get it, why won't this downgrade?

17. Fed
    macrumors 6502

I followed this until step 5 where, instead of downloading the file and selecting it in Finder, iTunes automatically downloaded it for me.

18. macrumors 68030

On my GSM 4S, I am at 3.4.03 now (back on 6.1.3)

19. thread starter macrumors regular

rossihvac

When I try that, iTunes says the iPhone firmware is corrupt and that I should check my Internet connection and try again

20. macrumors 68030

Hmmm...I might have thought that the iTunes downloaded firmware was corrupt, but you've tried it a few times with manually downloaded firmware too right?

Really strange. I dot think there should be any reason it shouldn't work. Downgrading firmware is not a problem as long as apple is still signing the 'old' firmware. People here have done it with both 4S and 5 models too.

21. thread starter macrumors regular

rossihvac

I have tried manually downloaded files on two machines and I get the same results except on my Mac mini I get error 21

22. macrumors 68030

And with all tries you did DFU first? You're sure you did the DFU correctly right? (Stupid question, but just to be sure.)

Right now are you able to kick your phone out of DFU and boot into ios 7?

23. thread starter macrumors regular

rossihvac

I followed the Dfu process on a few sites and every time I got to a black screen with iTunes saying an iPhone needed to be restored. Every time I tried to kick the phone out of Dfu I would get the iTunes/USB message on the phones screen.

24. macrumors member

downgraded mine successfully 4s (1.3) and 5 (1.4).

I didn't do the DFU mode, just plug iphone -> alt/option + restore -> select the .ipsw (download from iClarified)

nice to be back to IOS6, as expected the beta was too bugy and drains battery.

25. macrumors regular

I didnt have a problem restoring back to iOS 6. The issue I had was the iOS 6 was not reading the back up.

When I had iOS 7 i backed up all my information, then restored back to iOS 6. That forced me to set up the phone as new and when i went to back up the back up was not available.

I had to reinstall 7 to get my phone current again (the back up file appeared for 7 not 6). The iOS 6 i guess was unable to recognize the back up made iOS 7.

Any one have this issue or know a way around it?