Won't Shut Down

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BicyclePunk, Apr 12, 2004.

1. BicyclePunk macrumors regular

Hi there...well...I'm on a G4 Dual 500 machine and it won't shut down any way unless I hold down the main power button. This has been going on for some time now. I just upgraded to 10.3.3 and still nothing. I want to say it has something to do with FontBook, but not sure. I know this is a needle in a haystack, but any help would be great. Thanks!

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Do you get an error? Or does it just not do anything?

Tried the usual repair permissions? zap PRAM?

3. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Nope...no errors. It just stalls out....kind of. It doesn't freeze, and I can still open and work within most apps. But trying to shutdown or restart again does nothing.

You know...I haven't zapped pram in a long time...since OSX. How do I do it? Thanks.

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Restart holding down these four keys, Apple-Option-P-R

Good luck.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

To reset PRAM - hold command, option, p, r while booting. Let it chime 3 times.

To reset NVRAM- Then hold command, option, o, f while booting and when you get to the prompt type reset-nvram and hit enter, then type reset-all and hit enter.

6. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

ok...tried both of those and nothing. Still not shutting down or restarting. I'm stumped....

7. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Ok Ok Ok....got it. For some reason, Extensis Suitcase was in my list of start-up items for the admin user. I think I tried to install that way back when I had to re-install everything on this machine. But installation never took place...except for that start-up item. So I dumped that and all is well. Gee....and it only took me three months. Thanks for all the help.

8. dragonflymd macrumors newbie

my g4 won't shut down

I'm runnin 9.0.4 and it won't shut down. I tried zapping the pram. I also removed a Dave Sharing file that was in the shutdown items. But it still won't shut down, no errors, can still open programs, and when I go to shut down again it says, "The command could not be completed because you have already chosen Shut Down or Restart." Can anyone help?
    Thanks

9. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Someone said somewhere else that iDrive might hinder shut down? But I have no idea if that even works with 9.x.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This happened to me way back when (Almost two years ago now ;)) I was running 9.2 on my parents' iMac. Of course, I can't for the life of me remember how I fixed it :(