won't stay logged in, please help

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Ja Di ksw, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

A little bit ago My Finder wouldn't start, just other applications, and people here gave me the advice of either doing an Archive and Install, or booting up from something else and deleting pref and the like until it worked. I got my Finder to work by deleting the files that were downloaded right before it messed up after booting in OS 9, but they wouldn't leave my trash in OS X. Things worked fine (except not being able to delete anything, dispite trying Apple's suggestions using Terminal), but slowly they got worse. I decided to try the Archive and Install to see if that would help, but now it won't stay logged in. I log in, and within a couple seconds it kicks me off to the login stage. Does anyone know a way where I can change it to start up in OS 9, WITHOUT going into system pref or anything. It has to be done before logging in, because I can't stay logged in. I want to at least get into there so I can back up all my pics/movies, and probably just do a completely new install after that. I figure that's the safest way to go, I just don't want to lose all my pictures and movies in the process. Thanks to everyone for trying to help and for helping before

-Tim

2. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Re: won't stay logged in, please help

Put an OS 9 Cd in your Cd drive and reboot holding down the "C" key to restart from the Cd. When you've booted go to the Apple menu, choose Control Panels, and select the System Folder on your Hard Drive. Then, when you reboot it will start up in OS 9 so you can salvage your stuff.