woo hoo I got OSX today now help me get passed my first problem please

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ecodisk, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Ecodisk macrumors member

Ecodisk

I was going to install osx on a spare hard drive I had laying around I got all the way to the part were it asks you to choose a drive to install it on....the drive wasn't there. I opened up the disk utility thing and told it to fix the drive and format it to an apple format instead of dos. Now I go back to the installer and the hard drive is there, but it says that I can't install anything on it. What am I doing wrong?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of Mac is it? Is it relatively new? You may need a firmware hack if it's old. :)

3. Ecodisk thread starter macrumors member

Ecodisk

Its a Blue and White G3 with 128mb of ram. I am trying to install osx 10.3

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think that'll need a firmware update although I never worked with any of those older Macs so I could be wrong. Try the appropriate patch all the same. :)

5. Ecodisk thread starter macrumors member

Ecodisk

Ok while I was waiting for a reply I restarted and tried again and it worked. I guess you are suppose to restart the installation if your drives are not ready when you first start it up?

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

I ran into exactly this, and it's not limited to older Macs--for whatever reason, if you format a drive from the install DVD, it won't recognize it as an installable disk until you've restarted.

Pretty minor glitch, but it can be confusing.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Can you even boot off an external FireWire drive using the B&W? I tried it on mine and it never worked. I just shared a DVD-ROM around all of them to install Tiger.

If that firmware update always Target Disk mode I'm installing it. <.<