Wooden Boat Switch

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fosterhere, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Fosterhere macrumors newbie

I belong to a few forums one of the main forum I spend most of my time on is the Wooden Boat Forum - Yea I know But I build sailboats and there Misc. Non Boat section is freaking Lively and you don't even need a boat to play around in there. There is about 6,000 members from all over the world, a real bunch of salty characters. Anyway as often happens on any computer derived forum talk turns to computers and subsequent operating systems. Like most computer users most use Windozz. I have done my very best to promote the cause but there was one question that threw me off. Its an odd one regarding international sales. Is it true people in Australia or England etc. pay way more for a Mac? What prevents you or anyone from outside of the USA from buying a Mac from the Apple Store on line or from a mail order company like Mac Warehouse or Club Mac. Slap down your credit card like a regular Joe (Cold Spring on Hudson) that's me by the way and they charging ya just a bit more for the Fed Ex. What's the dealio or am I missing some international politics??? Trust me this could be a learning experience for me. I thought with the Internet and fed ex you could be in Kalamazoo USA or Kangaroo Australia it made no difference. :confused:

Check out the thread here http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=007434
    chime in if ya got an aswer

2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

If you purchase from a retailer, you are charged Duty (sometimes in excess of the price difference) when your package arrives.

For most Europeans I suggest spending a weekend in New York. The machine winds up costing the same amount, but you get the mini-holiday built in.

Also important to note is that many prices include VAT, so the cost difference is not as great as perceived

3. Fosterhere thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

VAT is Value Added Tax (a purchase tax similar to an inflated version of most states' sales tax).

In Europe, VAT is ~17.5%, so to compare prices on EU Macs, you either need to subtract ~17.5%, or add the sales tax to the US comparison machine (8.5% in San Francisco).

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I always thought Apple maintained offices in most countries to avoid duties? Or do duties get applied to anything that will eventually be sold, not just things shipping to consumers?

either way, this royally screws non-US people. Duties are one thing, this seems excessive.

Is VAT a normal function of the other countries' governments, or is it also just for imports?

pnw

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The difference between PCs and Macs is simple. People in other countries typically don't buy computers made in the US. If you want to buy a PC in Europe you don't buy a Dell or Compaq you buy something made locally. That isn't an option with the Mac because there are no Apple compatibles being made anymore.

7. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

A Duty will be charged if you order from a US merchant, and have it shipped outside the US.

This is a tax collection function of the country which receives the package.

You do not pay a Duty if you buy an Apple product in your home country (although there are surely Duty fees built into the price).

VAT is the EU equivalent of sales tax (sort of). If you live in the EU, and purchase in the EU, you pay VAT. If you don't live in the EU, and purchase in the EU, your VAT is refunded.

So, if an American bought a PBook in London, and returned to America, they could file for a refund check of their VAT, whcih would be processed and sent. The same would not apply to a Frenchman.