Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

porovaara

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2002
sf
Just checked and across the board there is 7-10 days estimated ship time on the powermac line.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
That rumor sucked, this one is a slight improvement.

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=4180935925

I just had an order for 5 933 MHz PowerMacs delayed because my vendor called to tell me that when he went to place the order with his distributor he was informed that "Apple is coming out with a new product in 7-10 business days."

No information beyond that. If this is true, look for an Apple press release by the end of today or tommorrow. There may be something to the 8/13/02 date after all. (Or not, we'll see.)

You need that nugget of truth to get the suckers to bite.

gozman

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2002
In the past 24 hours the ship times for all of the Preconfigured Powermacs on the Education Store (Except the education-only PM G4/733)have gone from 1-3 days to 7-10 days which has happened prior to EVERY product upgrade/Revision for the past 18 months, at least on the Apple Store for Education preconfigured items. More interesting though is that heavily customized BTO Powermacs are showing 3-5 days. This leads me to belive that there isn't any inventory of ready-built, mainstream Power Macs meaning change is coming pretty soon. I do know that preconfigured machines come from a warehouse where as BTO machines ship straight from the respective factory for that model.

Most interesting though is the PM G4/933 OSX Server being delayed for 7-10 WEEKS(!!!!!)

BTW: Every other PowerBook, iBook, imac & eMac are showing no more than 5 days

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by gozman
BTW: Every other PowerBook, iBook, imac & eMac are showing no more than 5 days

That's funny. I just configured a basic 17-inch iMac and it says it will take 3-4 weeks. Maybe this means something new is coming to the iMac, too. :D

I WANT AN IMAC!!! :D :D :D

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
nope

Just checked the apple store and it's telling me 3-5 days, which is definitely not as exciting as 7-10 days. I wouldn't get your pants wet just yet.

chills

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Not that I am expert but I believe Apple doesn't change these dates very often. I believe the shopping cart puts 3-5 days for preconfigured machines and 7-10 days for custom configurations. If you look at the cart below you will see the Dual with all the ram has everything listed as a custom job. The choice on their shopping cart just adds everything together for you and doesn't use a inhouse part number. I believe these dates mean absolutely nothing.

shipdates.jpg

demars

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2002
Santa Monica, CA
Originally posted by chills
Not that I am expert but I believe Apple doesn't change these dates very often. I believe the shopping cart puts 3-5 days for preconfigured machines and 7-10 days for custom configurations.

Last week, they were listing 1-2 days for a preconfigured machine, so it appears that _something_ has changed.

jrbohorquezg

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
Chicago
Guys, settle down. This is what I found out today (8/7/02). All powermacs in the education store have 7 - 10 days shipping time (except the 733Mhz, which is education only). Moreover, I checked Amazon.com's website, and they do not have inventory ("or the product has been discontinued") on any powermac except for the dual 1 Gig model. Amazon has inventory for every other model that Apple is currently manufacturing...

demars

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2002
Santa Monica, CA
I've been checking periodically, the regular (non-educational) Apple store was quoting 1-2 days for delivery last week, then 3-5 days for most of this week. This evening it changed to 5-7 days.

If I were betting I'd bet on the day after the Crystal Clear promotion is over (i.e. Aug. 13) as the day the new G4's are introduced, starting to ship on that date. The intensity of the rumors around the time of MWNY combined with the fact that they followed up a promotion on the G4s immediately with another promotion (rather unusual) leads me to believe that the new models were really ready before MWNY but Apple held off to rid themselves of excess inventory.

If they weren't going to announce next week, I would think the next most likely date would be one of the keynotes in Sept. (Seybold or the Apple expo in Paris). The fact that the ship date is streching out like this in the Apple store as well as the other stories of depleted inventories in this thread seems to indicate they aren't going to wait that long.

Unfortunately, not everyone has been able to sell their excess inventory; there is a Mac/PC store a block from my apartment that has stacks of G4 boxes in their front window! The same store sold out of their TiBooks weeks before the new model was introduced, but I guess it is harder to move those G4's.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Can Apple wait?

Ok, so the shipping times have been upped yet again... and continue to as we get closer to the 13th... We also know that a bunch of reports are coming in that some of the big resellers are out or very close to running out.

So my question is this: Hypothetically speaking- can Apple afford to not issue a new PMac line next week and decide to wait until one of the late Sept shows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.