WooHoo! I'm running in the NYC Marathon!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Flowbee, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The results of the lottery for a spot in the marathon were posted this afternoon... and I was accepted. I think they accept around 35,000 runners; well over 70,000 runners applied (my entry number was just over 71,000).

I've never run a marathon before. In fact, I've never run more than a mile. But I started training last month using The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer, bought myself a pair of Saucony Hurricanes, and I'm determined to run and finish.

Any other marathon runners here? Post your experiences. Or just wish me luck... I'm sure I'll need a bit of it.

Edit -- The marathon is on Sunday, November 7th.

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I'm more of a TV marathon kind of guy. If they ever do a Simpson's Marathon, I am there! :D

Good Luck Flowbee! Make us proud.

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Go for it dude, good luck!! Try and find the original Apple t-shirt when the released the first macintosh, and wear an iPod as well and carry a big sledgehammer;)

4. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Good Luck!
    My friend did Long Beach, then LA last year... after he quit smoking no less.

Dont forget to drink fluids :)

5. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

GOOD FOR YOU
    A lady I work with (an overweight lady) signed up to do a marathon for the American Diabetes Association. She trained for 6 months lost over 40 pounds in the process and managed to do the marathon in about 5 hours. If you have the ability to do it, then do it!!! :D

6. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

sweet! the course runs past one end of my block, about mile 7 -- long before everyone looks like a sweaty zombie. so maybe i'll see you out there... good luck!

7. Flowbee thread starter macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Thanks for all the support. Starting my training has been a very humbling experience. You're not supposed to begin the 16 week training program until you can comfortably run for 30 minutes. I'm in pretty good shape, but even running for five solid minutes without collapsing was a challenge. Over the last few of weeks I've worked my way up to running 20 minutes (10 min. running, 5 min. walking, 10 min. running) four times per week, and by this time next month I'll be up to thirty minutes solid and ready to start the official training schedule. It seems almost impossible to imagine that in five months I'll be running 26 miles.

I'll post more updates closer to race day.

8. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I wish you all the best. NYC marathon is definitly great !!!

I have been running three marathons so far. 2 x in Berlin and once in Munich.

There are plenty plenty of advices for a novice like you. But the best one I think is that you shouldn't do anything in a marathon that you haven't tried before (except running the whole distance) What that means for example is that you should go to a competition before, maybe 10 miles first and then half distance marathon. Don't run the first time in a competition at the marathon itself. You will learn a lot for yourself on these "trys".

Another thing: most important is finishing. The time doesn't matter at all.

Have fun. And if you have any special questions: ask.

Cheers
    CmdrLaForge

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

hey!

i'm running the marine corps marathon in dc this october! my first marathon also! the charity groups the sponsor the run, came to me and asked if i would help them raise money- can't turn that down.

i'm up to 12 miles now, the race is october 31st, sunday. my goal is under 4 hours.

the best 2 things that i can recomend so far is to watch your diet, and dont slack off. eat heathily, cross train. on my days off from running, i swim laps or get on an eliptical machine at the gym. makes a world of difference.

definitely, keep us posted- good luck! :D

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    just want to wish you the best of luck. WEAR the best pair of socks you can find and make sure you have another pair of shoes not your training shoes that you also kinda break in a bit specifically for the marathon

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on getting to run the NYC. I'm very proud of your discipline to accomplish such a noble task. Good luck with your training, a good foundation will carry you a long way.

The closet that I've come to the Marathon is that my wife has volunteered with the Boston Marathon. She has volunteered on the medical team the last 4 years.