WooHooo!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by twiztidn8v, Feb 10, 2004.

1. twiztidn8v macrumors member

Hit 10,000 points today for Team MacRumors! It only took me about two weeks! Not too shabby! Should be hitting the top 50 in rank soon...

Sorry, but I'm pretty excited about it. I think it's too cool!

FOLD ON!

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations twiztidn8v on your 10,000 mark that is awesome. I also wonder how you achieved that mark? After 5 days I still don't even register.

4. nw_mike macrumors member

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

nine processors doing 10k points in two weeks? i'm skeptical.

6. Sailfish macrumors regular

7. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

if not set up properly, 1 machine can mean several machines, even a whole lab if the client ID is the same

the program would have no way to establish if one machine is different from another

8. Sailfish macrumors regular

Well I always suspected it's possible to say finish eight units, transfer them to a bootable hard drive, upload the original and then boot from the second hard drive and upload those.

Copy those back to the first hard drive, boot from that...

etc., etc.

I don't know what's worse, this or dropping tinkers.

But it seems Stanford indeed gives out the same wu's multiple times to the same person, on the same machine.

I finished all mine and got credit for the duplicates.

So really what's stopping one from uploading the same finished wu's over and over again?

9. jbg macrumors newbie

Well if you check his graph from the Extreme Overclocking site you would see it has been 3 weeks, not two, still very impressive. We could use a couple dozen more like twiztidn8v and shemp9999. Wish I could add more on, but can only use the ones I have at home, not allowed any work units!

Has anyone noticed the stats have reset? We have 567 points and dropped to 23rd!

10. shemp9999 macrumors regular

shemp9999

i was number one (37 overall) for a few moments this afternoon. :D

i was too busy to publicly gloat/simultaneously swoon at the sheer loss of points at the time.:(

FAH has the stats server offline for maintenance right now.

if they don't get the stats back, i guess it'd be time for that unified mac community team?

Sailfish - why not just script it? (dupe the files, start the client, upload data, kill the client, ditch any new files, dup the files...)

set up one fresh mac, one fresh team, and jam the system. do it on an anonymously hijacked machine with a blatant username (like senoroverandoveragain).

we'll see what happens ;)

p.s. this is not the first time i've had my ponts vanish from FAH. hope they come back this time.

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

12. Sailfish macrumors regular

That's funny, because a few hours after I posted here about that all of a sudden Stanford goes down. ;)

(just kidding)

:)

13. twiztidn8v thread starter macrumors member

Wow, I guess it has been about three weeks, I just started a new job, and switched to MacRumors about the time I started here. Musta just lost track of time. I've got a dual 2 GHz G5, three 2.66 GHz P4 desktops, a 1.6 Ghz P4 laptop, a new toshiba laptop, a 700 MHz iMac G3.

I don't know why it was showing me as having 9 processors active. I know one of my P4 desktops was messed up and I had to reset up fah on it. None of the machines are overclocked. I'm getting ready to try and build my own home pc, but need good online resources to find out exactly how to go about it.

Well guys, keep up the fold!

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

my skepticism subsides if it's 3 weeks. that's about 60 points/day for the 8 processors. i wish i had that kind of output...

my team, w/ about a dozen active folders, put up over 68k points yesterday. of course, that was after the stanford servers messed up and took away those points...

15. Sailfish macrumors regular

I have a Dual 2 Ghz G5 and a emac 800 and the stats show 10 processors active in a week.

Probably because I run 8 F@H's on my Duallie and two Cli's on my eMac.

If I wait and finish all eight F@H's, upload them all at once and then crank out dozens more within a week, it will up my active processors even more.

Now that the stats server is down, I hope we all are getting credit for those wu's turned in.

Keep on Folding fellow Mac folders!

:)

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I hit 10,029 points about 2 hours ago (right before the server went down) over more than a year's time, including a 4 month break. I added 8690 of those since August 27th--slightly longer. :D

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Congrats.

:D

Hip Hip -- Huzzah!

:p

18. shemp9999 macrumors regular

shemp9999

the day the G5 arrived?

welcome to 5 digit statsdom.

19. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

shemp9999 -- I think its mostly the gromac core...

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Thanks!

I don't have any G5 here. I have a dual G4/800 and a PowerMac G3/800 upgraded from a G3/400.

Congratulations to wdlove!

22. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

It means you have now completed 2 Work units, and you have started your way to a good folding life of helping diease research.

BTW, you called me 'MrNacMan'

Watch your spelling, it aint a race! :D :p

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry MrMacman, it was an accident. It was not on purpose. The last thing that I want is for you to be angry with me. ;)

Thank you bousozoku.

Do you like my new Signature MrMacman?

Just went to System Preferences > Energy Saver > Put Computer to sleep when inactive CHG'd to NEVER > Put Display sleep when computer inactive Checked & Set 5 minutes > Put Hard Disks sleep when possible CHG'd Unchecked > For a change Screen Saver using after 3 minutes.

So now do I have the proper setting for ultimate Mac performance and Folding performance MrMacman?

24. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

haha, I'm just poking fun at the name thing... really I'm a Mod and I change peoples posts and then blame them for spelling stuff wrong... :p

Your signature is great... but you might want to not have to many spaces inbewteen the lines, it looks very long...

Also w/ the sig you can replace the
    with the acual number of points you have got with the number found here

Your settings look great. A screensaver is fine and you will be saving power when your monitor turns off after __ minutes.

You are at optimum folding capabalities w/o having to look at your computer myself.

Congrats.

--MrMacMan

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you MrMacman, it would not have happened without you being patient swith me along the process. Are uou talking about just removing the ABC? Is there an automac update, or to you just change daily? Which of these numbers do I use?

Score
    177 (certificate)

User Rank

WU
    4 (certificate)