Woops! (Dropped MacBook)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by surfer99, Mar 19, 2007.

1. surfer99 macrumors 6502

Jul 30, 2006
    First off sorry for the long post. I just want to be as detailed as possible. So eventually it happened. I was sitting on my couch today and had my macbook next to me. I got up and sure enough my macbook slide right off the couch onto the tile floor. Pretty nice sized fall. So obviously I attempted to start it up again and prayed that everything was alright. At first my computer wouldnt even turn on. Then I went to plug it in and it turned on but all I got was the apple logo and the spinning wheel below it. I have an old internal 60 gb harddrive that came with my macbook that I use for back up in way of an external harddrive now that I keep pretty much all my photos and music on (although it has been a couple weeks since I updated my back up drive) and I took out the 160 gb harddrive that was in it during the fall and put in the 60 gb harddrive that I use for my back up into the computer. It turned on and worked fine. So I decided to try again with the 160gb put back in the 160gb harddrive that was in it during the fall and I got the same thing as before (with the spinning wheel and apple logo). I then plugged in the 60 gb harddrive, while the 160gb was still in the computer (the one I use as an external) via usb and it loads up but the computer uses the external and when I pull up the "Disk Utitlity" App it just shows the 60 gb hard drive. So I have a few questions....

1.What do you guys think is wrong with my computer (or hard drive)?
    2.Is my 160gb hard drive done for?
    3.Any trouble shooting tips to get my 160gb hard drive to work?
    4.If my 160gb hard drive is done for do you guys think there is anyway to pull any data off that 160gb hard drive since I still did have a few things that I never uploaded on to my 60gb hard drive?
  2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    It seems to be a hard drive failure as you already deduced.

Yes, I'd say it is.

You can't really do anything about a hard drive failure.

You'll have to go to a place like drivesavers to get the data off your hard drive.
  3. Samwise592 macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    well, if i understood that correctly, it sounds like your 160gb had a minor head crash (somewhere in the region of your harddrive)... i've never heard a story of someone recovering from one entirely... but if you try to boot your macbook in "target disk" mode (hold "t" while starting) and plug it in via firewire into another mac, you might be able to grab some stuff off of it.

best of luck.