Woot, I got dual monitors now!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bobdude161, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Mar 12, 2006
    N'Albany, Indiana
    Just got another monitor (19 inch CRT) to go with my other monitor (17" inch CRT) and I got a quick question. Is there a way to keep one monitor running in Finder while the main one is playing a game? So far when I play a game like Quake 3, the main monitor shows the Quake 3 game and the other just turns blank.
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It's all application (game) dependent. Any application can choose to use any available monitor but when it is not specifically coded to look for monitors, it will always default to the first monitor.
  3. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    ^ aye. The way I find it is that the main screen runs the game, Finder can be ran in the other.

And welcome to Dual monitors world :) . I've had 2 since the start of 2006 and I can't go back. I've grown to use them both effectively now and OSX handles 2 screens so well, kudos to them.
  4. cschreppel macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Yep same here. Although, I haven't run dual monitors in over a year. Maybe I should bust my MacBook out of clamshell mode and utilize my iCurve again.
  5. phuong macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2006
    back to the days when i was using windows xp, i was able to play game on 1 screen and keep every other applications on the second screen.
    since i bought a MP, i couldnt do that anymore. the second screen would go black all the time. i guess it's the way OSX works.
  6. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    try running games in windowed mode.
  7. disconap macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Of course, if you learn your shortcuts and move your harddrive over to the secondary monitor, losing the main doesn't really matter that much, especially if you set the dock to run on the second...
  8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Once you go dual you never go back..

Sucks that you have to buy an expensive adapter to run two studio displays at once though.

That's why one studio and one CRT works for me for now...