Woot! I just increased my gas mileage from 16 to 37

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hcuar, Jan 5, 2006.

1. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Yup, I just took my 2002 Jeep Liberty V6 and even traded it (plus a few hundred bucks back to me) for a 2002 Honda Civic LX. Both have equal miles and are both in perfect condition. I ended up getting the deal I wanted after they offered me the opportunity to give them $3000.00 for the Honda and take my Jeep. :eek: I guess that's what happens when you wear them down for 1/2 the day. :D

Anyhow... My Jeep needed gas once per week... The new (used) car will only require me to fill up once every 2.5 to 3 weeks. (per my calcs)

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Yeah, Civics are awesome cars. My sister has one from 1998 and it still runs like new today. Amazingly compact, well-built cars. I am a Toyota person, myself, with a nice gas guzzling 4-Runner V6. :eek:

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

civics are tough and last a long time. very nice cars and looks very nice when set up right.

Bless

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

Great car. My parents' have a '96 DX that sips a gallon every 42 miles. Great little car, but I'm a bigger fan of the TDI-powered VW.

5. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I'm jealous! I drive about 60 miles per day (round trip) to and from work, and I'm filling my little Corrolla 5-6 times per month. Good thing the woman "brings home the bacon."

Do you mean "woot" as in "wow loot" or "wOOt" as in "pleasure at sighting the posterior of a voluptuous woman"?

6. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

My dad has a '98 civic. Very good car.

So far there are two things I wish that were better designed. The rear window defrost button (why have it clear across the dash away from the driver?) and the trunk door (several times that thing has closed while I was getting stuff out of the trunk).

Other than that, Great car.

7. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

When I'm 16 my dad is giving me his Jeeb GC with a 275 HP 4.7 High Output V8, I'll be poor in a week:D I want a HYBRID!

8. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I've got a 93 elantra, I get about 20 miles/gallon. I expected more, but maybe it's just the winter with the gas contracting in the cold. Hopefully I'll get atleast 25 in the summer. I fill up about once a week, but I've got another $75 in gift certificates to Shell.. I already used $50 since Christmas, but I drove a lot during my holiday vacation.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I test drove a '99 Civic DX when I was last shopping for a car. Very economical, good handling, well built...but it was very slow. A good car nonetheless. I wanted something a bit quicker, but an Integra was too expensive on insurance.

I ended up getting a '99 Nissan Altima GXE. 2.4 liter engine, a lot more torque than the Civic and 27/34 mpg. Not bad for a 2.4L.

If I could do it again I'd get the Integra or a V6 or turbo Golf.

But yeah, those Jeeps are THIRSTY! 16mpg is actually not bad - wait till it gets old....:eek:

10. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

I lost a lot of power going from the Jeep to the Civic... but I gained lots in gas mileage... I'll take the gas in this point in my life. I'm also thinking that the Jeep is going to start needing some repairs. Hopefully the Civic is more reliable to the Jeep.

I just had the Jeep tuned up a few months ago. I was down to 14 mpg. Yuck.

11. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

The car that I drive, '86 BMW 325es gets, reading this off of the dashboard computer screen thingy, 9 km or miles (don't know which one) to the gallon or liter (still don't know which one).

:eek: :(

12. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah Jeeps are gas guzzlers. When I test drove a Jeep Wrangler( about 2 years ago), the sticker said for EPA was 12/15! My parents Chevy Suburban with a big ol'( should be small ol' as it is a small block haha ) Vortec 5300 V8 gets better then that! I drive around a Chevy Equinox with a 185 HP 210 lb of torque V6. Gets around 19/24 with my driving hopefully when fully broken in, fuel economy will rise some more. :D

13. 40167 macrumors regular

Dang dude, I would get that checked out... I got a '89 525i and it averages 24mpg; unless im flooring the thing, then the computer shows around 16mpg.

14. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

The computer also says that the temperature is 64º Celsius :rolleyes: I sort of think that it's the computer that is at fault.

But yea I really should get the thing checked out as you said.

15. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I have a little 2002 Holden Astra, I have to fill it up about 2-3 times a month costing around $100. :mad: Damn those high oil prices!

16. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Congrats. Honda's are awesome. I'm too tall to comfortable drive a Civic, but they are a great car. My friend has a 5 speed and it's very nice, and great on gas.

The new Civics are smokin' hot.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Drive a 2001 Chevy Cavalier with 26,000 original miles (most of those from the trips back and forth from WA to CA). Over 30 miles to gallon on gas. Almost that on CNG. If I fill up on both, I can go for about 600 miles before having to re-fill. Having formerly driven a gas guzzler, I'm very happy with it.

Congrats on trading up.

18. haiggy macrumors 65816

Nice car. It will be easier a lot easier on the bank account. ;) I need a car... I'm getting my license in 6 days! :D

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Which does NOT include any or all of the following:
    1) rear wing
    2) coffee can exhaust (or an old dead muffler, with the same sound)
    3) "eurotail" tail/brake lights
    4) LED washer fluid nozzles
    5) huge air dam for the front, side skirts for the side or
    6) something resembling a diffuser on the back
    If I find any evidence of you putting any of those on your car, hcuar, I will personally confiscate it, and leave you with my 94 Corsica, which needs a fill every 6 days, and takes most of my paycheck to get to school every week.

20. TangoCharlie macrumors member

Metric gas (petrol) usage...

Normally, in the US and UK we quote miles per gallon (MPG). However, I think US gallons and UK gallons are different. Doh! Anyway, what you want is a BIG number. My Chrysler Grand Voyager (3.3L auto) does about 18mpg. My wifes Renault Megane does nearly 50mpg.

In Europe, fuel efficiency is quoted as Litres per 100km. What you want is a small number. My Voyager uses about 13 L/100km, whereas my wifes Renault uses only 4.5L/100km.

If your BMW says "9", then I'd guess that was 9L/100km, or about 25mpg. That's what I'd expect for an older 2.5L petrol (erm, gas) engine.

Anyway, what's all this to do with Macs??!!! :confused:

21. iGary Guest

iGary

My Honda Civic EX 4-door gets 37 on average, 45 on the highway. Great car.

22. iGav macrumors G3

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. :p

Civics though... *shudders* the new one's even reverted back to a torsion beam rear suspension layout. :eek: :p

23. iGary Guest

iGary

Yeah, they ditched the rear double wishbone starting with my model year. :rolleyes:

24. aquajet macrumors 68020

7) So much camber it appears that the wheels are about to break off.
    8) Expensive 18" rims on the back, rusty old 13" steel rims on the front

25. aquajet macrumors 68020

What year? My parents' '96 civic doesn't get quite that much on the highway.