Woot! Just got my tax refund...now what to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by skubish, Feb 18, 2005.

1. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I am pretty much settled on an iMac G5 20". I just hope Apple doesn't release a new rev. right after I buy.

One thing I need advice on is speakers.
    What are some good speakers to go along with my iMac?

Thanks

2. ct77 macrumors member

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  4. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It's a pretty common thing in America. I don't know how it works anywhere else, but every year we have to file a tax return, where we account for all our income and then either pay extra tax that wasn't collected during the year, or get a refund if the goverment overcollected.

Some people deliberately overpay their taxes just so they'll get a "bonus" at refund time.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

There are some rumors on some unreliable sites of an iMac update...but I doubt it.

There, did I add to the confusion? :D

7. SteveC macrumors 6502

8. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Tax refunds work the same way here in Norway (which reminds me that I have some creative work ahead of me ;))

The iMac is also "Approaching the end of a cycle" according to the Buyers guide... so maybe a couple of weeks waiting may pay off...

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Rather than buying a computer that will quickly depreciate in value, invest in Apple's stock which is about to split and likely continue it's upward climb in value for at least a little while.

11. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Sorry but what is your financial background to give such an advice? How can you be SURE that it will go up? AAPL is probably the most speculative stock there is right now in volume x price, as such, its a very bad investment for someone who doesnt want to take risk or cant afford it.

Personnaly, I am sure that it will crash soon unless Apple make some big announcement about iPod sales, mac sales or new partnership with Sony. Right now, the premium that buyers pay is ridiculous if nothing pops out in the news soon to back it. Even the EPS for next year doesnt justify the current price and since only Jobs know about what is coming for Apple, we can all call it massive speculation.

I would be surprise about an iMac update simply because they are still selling well as it is, Apple always wait for a slow down in sales in the past. Maybe an upgrade would be justify if they up the video card to make it look better in front of the Mac mini.

Anyways, as someone said, get an external FW HD to backup. This is the best investment you will ever make!

12. tekmoe macrumors 68000

i used my tax refund to help pay off my car...which i paid off today!!! and boy does it feel gooooooooooooooooooooooood!!! :D :D :D

13. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

And you're basically giving the government an interest-free loan. No thanks. I'd rather get as much out of my paycheck as possible and get a smaller refund come tax time.

This article pretty much sums it up:
    http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/23/pf/debt/chatzky_withholdingnew/

14. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I agree. I owe them money every year, just a small amount. But int he meantime, its been in my account earning interest. Maybe not a whole lot, but I'd rather being making money off of my savings then letting the government do it.

15. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

ahh as soon as my tax return comes I have to mail it off to pay for my power mac g5 hehe.

16. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030

skubish

I don't intentionally try to get a big refund, it just happened this year because we bought a big house and thus are paying more interest and taxes.

I just have to keep the wife from wanting to spend it on boring stuff like curtains, landscaping, etc.