worcester sauce crisps...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by OutThere, Feb 19, 2005.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

mmmm, sounds tasty :D

so, this reminds me of the red dye scare that made all the red M&Ms disappear in the states for a while till they found a replacement....is it the same thing or do we over here on the other side of the pond have to wait for the FDA to ban it as well?

D

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

worcester sauce crisps...

no thanks... I'm trying to give them up

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    dont u need to consume like tons and tons and tons of that to actually get cancer!!!

5. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

Well yeah, but your forgetting some of us are from manchester......

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The point is, there is no safe established dose for this. There are plenty of compounds that are fatal in microgram dosages. The other tricky bit is that the incubation time may be years or decades. What the agencies are saying about this stuff is that it has not been proven safe at any level of consumption.

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Hmm Tasty. Bit strong on the flavour so its a packet of mints afterwoods.

8. Lau Guest

Mr. Anderson, according to page 4 of yesterday's Guardian, Sudan 1 was banned in the US in 1918. I guess we're a bit behind the times over here :eek:

9. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Ay im from manchester!! leave worcester sause alone its nice.. i like it on my cheese on toast in the morning :)

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hahah banned since 1918...yeah a little delayed reactio, but better late than never

11. krollster macrumors member

I wonder if that's the same cancer causing chemical that caused Red Freddo Frogs to be removed from the shelves in Aus back in the 90's? The newer "safe" ones just aren't the same...

12. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Those were gooood. Crisps/chips are finally getting unique flavours here in the US, but nowhere near what you can buy in the UK. Never did acquire a taste for the prawn crisps....

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It's comforting to know that Sudan 1 was banned by the US back in 1918. This isn't good news for PepsiCo. Not sure that I would have even liked this snack, not rally into highly spicy foods.

14. Makosuke macrumors 603

Actually, if memory serves, although the M&Ms either didn't even use the culprit dye or there was an acceptable replacement immediately available, they stopped making them anyway just to placate nervous consumers who were suddenly down on red entirely. They brought them back recently because it'd been so long nobody even remembered the issue anymore, so there was no PR problem.

I see a lot of bizarre crunchy snack food flavors in Japanese munchies, but I can't say many appeal to me--shrimp is ok, but the pancake- or strawberry-flavored che-tos aren't so hot. The recent US shot at... what was it, Holiday Hot Chocolate Chex Mix?... was rather a bust as well.. ick.