Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diomedes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
Are desktop printers only supported by certain applications?

When I drag a Word document to my networked HP 8000, Word launches, and the printer prints a blank page. I also have a "Print" item as a contextual menu, and nothing happens when I right-click on a Word document.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Diomedes said:
Are desktop printers only supported by certain applications?

When I drag a Word document to my networked HP 8000, Word launches, and the printer prints a blank page. I also have a "Print" item as a contextual menu, and nothing happens when I right-click on a Word document.
You mean it actually prints something? Prompted by your post, I tried to drag and drop a Word file to my desktop printer. The file was intercepted by Microsoft's God-forsaken Project Manager. Disabling Project Manager results in Word's opening a blank document rather than printing the one that I dropped on the printer icon. Our experiences would seem to indicate that Word does not support desktop printers. I have yet to find another [non-Microsoft] application with the same failing.

Diomedes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
Well, if a blank page is "something", then yes, it launches Word with a blank document and prints the blank page.

I don't know about being "intercepted" by Project Center (I think that's what you meant - you said Project Manager), but it definitely does not support desktop printers.

Even stranger...if you have a Word document open, and you drag a different WOrd document to the printer, the already-open Word document prints.I had a 20-page report open, and I needed to print two 1-page letters. I dragged and dropped them on the desktop printer, and next thing I knowI had printed the 20-page report twice.

Is this a bug? Does it have to do with Word being a Carbon app or not supporting Services?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Diomedes said:
Well, if a blank page is "something", then yes, it launches Word with a blank document and prints the blank page.

I don't know about being "intercepted" by Project Center (I think that's what you meant - you said Project Manager), but it definitely does not support desktop printers.

Even stranger...if you have a Word document open, and you drag a different WOrd document to the printer, the already-open Word document prints.I had a 20-page report open, and I needed to print two 1-page letters. I dragged and dropped them on the desktop printer, and next thing I knowI had printed the 20-page report twice.

Is this a bug? Does it have to do with Word being a Carbon app or not supporting Services?
Oops, I meant "Project Gallery." Sorry if I confused you.

Back to the topic at hand: My guess is that Word's lack of support for desktop printers has nothing to do with Carbon and everything to do with Microsoft and its software development priorities. Immediately after I tried without success to print from Word to one of my desktop printers, I tried the same thing with BBEdit Lite 6.1.1, a discontinued freeware text editor. It worked perfectly as did Adobe Acrobat Pro 6 and KaleidaGraph 3.6.2. If I were a betting man, I would bet that all of these non-Microsoft apps are Carbon. At any rate, they all worked perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.