Word 2004 glitch - please help me!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aurora_belle, Aug 17, 2006.

1. aurora_belle macrumors newbie

Oct 2, 2005
    Is this happening to anyone else?

I'm using Microsoft Office 2004 Student and Teachers edition for Mac. I have a 15" PowerBook G4 and I'm running OS 10.4.7.

I've been battling with this problem for months now- and it is driving me crazy. It seems that Word is reacting to me copying and pasting text (from any source- web, other docs, pdfs, etc). Everything will be working just fine, but soon after I paste something into a Word doc, the next time I hit the return key, delete and sometimes the space bar (sometimes other keys too), the window I'm working from will disappear. The program will keep running but the document I'm working on just disappears. If I have other Word docs open at the time, they are still there though.

To get the doc back, I have to click on one of the other Word windows I had open, then go to Window> and choose the doc I was working on. Alternatively, I can click on a window from another program, and then choose Word again (still running) and the document I was working on will pop up. I will type some more and within a few minutes (or less) it will happen again. And on and on it goes.

As of just a few weeks ago, this also seems to be happening with Excel too. I have tried re-installing Office twice now.

Most appreciated if anyone has any suggestions on this one - I have Pages, but my work requires that I use Office, so I have to get this damn program working!

Many Thanks:D
  2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    gwt neo office, a open source free micrsoft office it is about equivlent to 98 but has allthe features.
  3. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
  4. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    Call them. Personally, I have two 2004 purchased cds Teacher addition, but I found i'm sticking to the 2001-2 Office for Mac OSX because it clutters things up a lot less.

If you have a license, I have called M$ once or twice to figure out things. YOu get three free calls on each licensse.
  5. Passante macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    on the sofa
    Try deleting the word preferences file.

home directory/library/preferences/Microsoft/clipboard preferences

bad preferences can cause weird behavior
  6. aurora_belle thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 2, 2005

very much for the advice! most appreciated. I haven't applied it all yet, but I intend to and hopefully that will fix the problem.