Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnackTime

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I have a 15" rMBP, mid-2015 model, OS X up-to-date etc. and ever since updating to Office 2016 I've noticed Word eats up more battery than previous. It will often be the top of the battery draining pile.

Other Office apps are fine (well, I've only used Excel a lot), but Word eats up more battery than Safari, for example. Certainly more than Pages. Additionally, its performance seems a bit sluggish. For example, I can regularly type faster than Word will keep up with in real-time.

Has anyone else found this?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I have a 15" rMBP, mid-2015 model, OS X up-to-date etc. and ever since updating to Office 2016 I've noticed Word eats up more battery than previous. It will often be the top of the battery draining pile.

Other Office apps are fine (well, I've only used Excel a lot), but Word eats up more battery than Safari, for example. Certainly more than Pages. Additionally, its performance seems a bit sluggish. For example, I can regularly type faster than Word will keep up with in real-time.

Has anyone else found this?
I haven't noticed a battery issue, since I am usually plugged in, but I have noticed that the Mac version of Word is sluggish in comparison to the Windows version when working on a document with more than a few pages of text. Just scrolling through a semi-complex document is terrible in the OS X version. The worst part is that this is apparent even when comparing hardware that is much worse running the Windows version of Word. It's a joke when comparing it on the same Mac running in bootcamp versus OS X. I have noticed a similar issue in Excel too, but it's not as bad as Word.

SnackTime

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I haven't noticed a battery issue, since I am usually plugged in, but I have noticed that the Mac version of Word is sluggish in comparison to the Windows version when working on a document with more than a few pages of text. Just scrolling through a semi-complex document is terrible in the OS X version. The worst part is that this is apparent even when comparing hardware that is much worse running the Windows version of Word. It's a joke when comparing it on the same Mac running in bootcamp versus OS X. I have noticed a similar issue in Excel too, but it's not as bad as Word.

Interesting. Did you notice this sluggishness in an earlier version of word as well? I only used the earlier version of Word for Mac briefly before upgrading to 2016. Fairly silly that it perform poorly on an i7, haha. Maybe I'll stick to pages since it is about as competent as Word.

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
I have not yet noticed it on Word 2011. I have not bothered to update to the new Office. I tend to wait six months when something updates as to avoid the pitfalls.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Interesting. Did you notice this sluggishness in an earlier version of word as well? I only used the earlier version of Word for Mac briefly before upgrading to 2016. Fairly silly that it perform poorly on an i7, haha. Maybe I'll stick to pages since it is about as competent as Word.
No, I do not recall it being this obvious in the previous Mac version of Word.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.