word and .docx

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bored911, Mar 7, 2007.

1. bored911 macrumors 6502

bored911

i heard that word '07 would have a .docx file format, that macs wouldn't be able to read. Is this true?

2. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

True. Won't be able to read it until Office:2008 comes out.

EDIT: Or if MSFT creates a free program that only lets you read the .docx file. Chances of that happening though, about zero.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I can't see anyone using docx right away unless it is the default save file type. Either way, hopefully you can save to an earlier version like you can now.

4. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I had a group member (school project) send me a .docx file. My reaction was, you got to be frackin' kidding me!

5. bored911 thread starter macrumors 6502

bored911

i was talking to my physics teacher, and he pointed me over to microsoft, who said that in late '07 there would be a converter. 5 bucks says it's in december. hehhe

6. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

By that time we should hopefully have Office:2008. But somehow I dobut that. This is MSFT we're talking about.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

So TextEdit can save to it but not read from it?:confused: Or do I have something wrong here?

Attached Files:

8. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

TextEdit shouldn't be able to do anything with it. When I opened a .docx file in Word '04 it came out all cryptic and gnarly looking.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

MS has repeatedly and consistently stated that their will be free .docx converters for Office 2004. IIRC, they're supposed to be out in beta form this spring with the final versions being released a few weeks after Office 2008 is released. So I guess the chances are >> 0

TextEdit can write Word XML although it doesn't give it the .docx extension, it uses .xml for some reason. Anyway, it sure looks like proper XML to me and it opens fine in TextEdit.

(A funny thing is I just stumbled upon this functionality and messed with it a few minutes ago, and that was write before I just happened to stumble on this thread.)

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Word XML Document (used by Word 2003 and supported by TextEdit) is not the same as Office Open XML (used by Word 2007).

12. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

yup. now supported via the NeoOffice 2.1 Early Access. :)

13. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Operating word there is supposed. Just goes to show I know half the story. Eh, could be worse.

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Okay, got it. So there are:
    Word XML Document (.xml)
    Office Open XML (.docx)
    Open Office.org (.don't_remember)

Thanks for clearing that up!

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are a couple of .docx readers available here.

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is the default file type, you can save as an earlier file type but you do lose some editing options, such as equations become pictures etc.

I am saving in both .docx and .doc.

The file size in .docx is 3mb and in .doc it is 24mb.

Office 2007 is pretty nice, i find myself staring at the ribbon for ages trying to find the little icon for what i want. I even searched help looking for something but i could not reproduce the steps it said to get to the function. Apart from these learning issues i quite like it, even though it seems a lot more sluggish than office 2000.

Graphs in Excel are terrible, made them so unuser friendly (at least using the obvious method to create the graphs) I am going to install office 2000 again so i can make decent looking graphs easily.

I am using office 2007 to do my 3rd year design project as i am fed up of Office v.X not being able to handle pictures at all well.

17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I just had to use the docxconverter 1.1 for the first time, successfully, though it's shareware with 20 trial uses. I've also downloaded the docxconverter widget, but how do you drag a docx file to a widget drop zone? pmi = pardon my ignorance.

18. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

there is a converter for word 03 (windows version) that microsoft offer for free if you are desperate.

19. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Click and drag the file, press F12 and drag the file over the dropzone.