Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Hong Kong
Hey all,

Unfortunately my mother wrote a huge document (a syllabus) in Microsoft Word 2004 on her computer, and it has varying margins (so she could fit everything into each page etc.)

Now she is in London, and I have to make a couple of changes, but on my computer. Her computer is miles away.

The problem is, when I load this document on my computer, the margins are messed up, and thus I can't edit.

How on earth can I get this document to appear exactly as it does on her computer??

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
ask her what her margins are and then set them in your version of Word.

if that doesn't work, have her send you just the text (no formatting, like in TextEdit or something similar) and make the changes. then when she gets it back she can change the formatting.

i don't know how to do it without all that work.

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
ask her what her margins are and then set them in your version of Word.

if that doesn't work, have her send you just the text (no formatting, like in TextEdit or something similar) and make the changes. then when she gets it back she can change the formatting.

i don't know how to do it without all that work.

Make sure the paper size is set up for the same paper in Page Setup menu. We use Letter size and Europe - A4 size. Try to change paper size to A4 on your computer and the file should look just fine. Let us know how it turned out.

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Hong Kong
Thanks for the replies.

I changed it from A4 (my setting) to US Letter, and it made it a lot better, but still not correct. Thankfully, I have been able to get someone to use her computer and do the editing for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.