Word Censor

Discussion in 'Site News' started by arn, Aug 17, 2002.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

There's a word censor for a reason.

The only reason to try to get around it is to make my life more difficult.

Please don't make my life more difficult.

arn

2. backspinner macrumors 6502a

Word Censor?

I'm from europe and not common with political correctness and the like. Maybe you could explain this tight-minded topic a little bit more?

I guess I'm not allowed to type normal short words like **** and **** (just testing)?

3. backspinner macrumors 6502a

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think arn is referring to variations of those words or just words that are not in the censor list. If you paid attention to my flame posts and use of "?", or if you paid attention to AlphaTech using ü, the censor won't recognize this.

But moderators will and can/result in banning. I have been warned already, and I can't imagine how many complaints must have been in regard to AlphaTech, intelligent, but radical.

I can adjust myself so I am not that extreme, but AlphaTech seems to refuse to adjust. I'll admit, I like the guy's intelligence, but whenever someone says anything incorrect he coughs down your throat and, on occassion, avoids the profanity filter. The "average" person corrects the person and doesn't use anything profane.

I'll be quite surprised to see Alpha get banned, since he may be one of the most helpful people on the forums. :rolleyes:

5. saint macrumors regular

Hey arn, could you possibly set it up so that words like 'Microsoft', 'Dell', 'Dvorak' etc get censored as well?

6. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Yes, the word censor is simply to avoid profane words. Please try not to purposefully avoid the filter.

Alphatech is not being singled out.

arn

7. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I would like to appologise for my use of such characters as "1" and "0" instead of "i" and "o".

This will cease now, I don't want to lose my access rights.

8. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

he may not have been singled out, or banned, but the man is gone. he says dosnt plan to return eather, i hate to be the berrer of bad news but you will have to go elsewere to ask alphatech a question form now on.
    it is a pity to loose one of the most knowelagble posters on the bords, but than again the newbies will now have a chance.

9. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I don't like to get into a lot of the crap that goes around so I am missing something here.... what happened to Alpha?

10. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I missed something here too

11. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i dont think im the only person who is thinking "good riddance"

i personally never found him to be any more knowledgeable than many people around here. im not saying he wasnt knowledgeable, just that there are many here who are less abrasive with their help.

if someone wants to leave altogether due to the board admin asking him to quit being childish, obscene, and downright rude to people, then again...good riddance.

he's not the first to disappear for reasons like these, and he will not be the last.

12. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

What? AlphaTech is gone? The guy with the harley is gone!:(

Well, I'll apoligize for typing @$$...sorry, I'm used to writing and typing it...:eek:

13. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

well, we can now get back to talking about buying non-american made cars, being anti-harley, and giving out misinformation about computer technology. Woohoo!!! :)

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

well...it all comes down to behaving...

if u really feel the need to use profanity here...at least censor it yourself...with "*'s"...not by adjusting the letters... ;)

15. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I'm assuming that Alphatech leaving was covered in the private forums.
    Anyway, I try not to use profanity much but I do on occasion use the non-american version of the word a**. I don't do it to get around word censors I just think it seems cooler. I will cease and desist.

16. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I posted this in another thread... I don't want people to get all uptight about this...

If the word isn't censored, it's probably no big deal.

Just use common sense, and don't go out of your way to avoid the profanity filter.

I'm not sure why this is such a difficult concept. The ban is there for a reason... if you are trying to avoid it, clearly, this is frowned upon.

Alphatech was not banned. He can choose to return at any time.

arn

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you mean arse??? there's nothing wrong with arse.

at least not in my book.

18. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Ok, WAIT a second... it is ok to say arse but not to say ass?????????

Edit: no, looks like both are ok.... phew

19. jacka55 macrumors newbie

What about my email address?

It's <something>@ssman.net

Is that okay?

20. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: What about my email address?

ass is not censored... so it's ok.

arn

21. King Cobra macrumors 603

Man, you guys are just wasting posts with this a-s-s thing.

Oh, s***. This won't help. :rolleyes: :p

Apparently, Alpha may have read my post above, along with a few others, so he may be rethinking this whole aggression in posting style. He was caught lurking a while back. So...

If you are reading this, it won't kill you to lighten up. It's your choice:
    Zero intentional aggression or ZERO access to the forums.

P.S. "ass" was censored a while back, which is why you may have seen so many "Cl***ic" words back then. The PF was rather harsh.

22. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Macs suck! PCs rule! Go buy a PC!

Im testing. THere are some phrases that should be censored here on Macrumors.

[edit]They aren't censored! They should be - that is profanity :D[/edit]

23. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Actally, that just reminded me of a site a PC using friend of mine left running on my pooter last time he was over. The catch line of the site was "Real Men Use DOS".

I thought it was halerious and proceeded to look up all the anti-mac sites I could because they are just the biggest laugh.