Word/Excel help with MS Office for Mac 2004

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by loudguitars, Mar 30, 2006.

1. loudguitars macrumors member

Nov 3, 2004
    Any help from Office masters would be greatly appreciated.

I've got some data that I'm trying to move from an Excel document into a Word document for Avery 5267 labels. I used data merge, but it strips the data horizontally instead of vertically. Let me give an example because I'm not great at explaining visuals:

How I want it to look:

Data piece 1 Data Piece 21 Data Piece 41 Data Piece 61
    Data piece 2 Data Piece 22 Data Piece 42 (etc.)
    Data piece 3 Data Piece 23 Data Piece 43
    ... ...... ...
    Data piece 20 Data Piece 40 Data Piece 60

How it looks now:
    Data Piece 1 Data Piece 2 Data Piece 3 Data Piece 4
    Data Piece 5 Data Piece 6 Data Piece 7 (etc.)

I mean, I could theoretically copy/paste into columns if it came to that, but it cannot possibly be that uncommon that people want their labels stripped horizontally on a page instead of vertically in a mail merge, and it's quite a bit of data. There HAS to be an easier way, I'm just convinced it's just really well hidden.

I've googled around a bit but I'm coming up completely dry. Anybody have any suggestions?
  2. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    Looks like there may be a way to do it using Visual Basic. But, it's late here and I've been playing with this for awhile, so I'm going to bed.

Maybe someone with VB experience will help on this forum. I don't have VB knowledge, but I started reading some articles that are interesting. So maybe we'll all learn something new here!

I'm with you...there should be an easier way!
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    It appears that you want to transpose your rows and columns. To do this, select your data and then Copy it. Then, Paste Special... to a location outside your existing data area. Check Transpose in the Paste Special... dialog box. If you get lost, just search transpose in the Excel help viewer.
  4. loudguitars thread starter macrumors member

Nov 3, 2004
    I don't even see an option to transpose when in the "paste special" dialog. The options I see are to paste as:

- Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object
    - Formatted Text (RTF)
    - Unformatted Text
    - Picture
    - HTML Format.

Anyway, I guess this'll just be another feature request to pass along to microsuck and openoffice.org. Whee! Thanks, guys.
  5. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    My previous suggestion assumed that your data was already in an Excel spreadsheet. You need to open your data in Excel. Then Copy and Paste Special... will work as I described above.