Word / PDF Help -- Homework due NOW!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dotnina, Oct 10, 2004.

1. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aaaah, help!

I converted a Word doc to PDF. Then I went to look for it in Finder. I found it, noticed it had a ".pdf" extension even though it was a Word icon. Strange.

I erased the extension. I tried to open it in Word, and it says "convert from file type ..." and it gives me a bunch of options, like Appleworks, Plain Text, etc. I tried to open it but it looks like it was encoded as a PDF after all -- it says "PDF / 1.0" at the top and EVERYTHING IS JUMBLED JUNK!

It's homework, and it's due in 30 minutes! Aaaah, please help!

---

EDIT: Figures, I end up posting and I fix the problem 5 minutes later. I had already tried renaming / unnaming, etc., to no avail. Finally I just erased the whole name and named the file something completely different, with no extension. The file opened in Word again, and it was still jumbled. I went back to the icon in Finder and added a ".pdf" extension. This time, it opened in Preview, and everything was Perfect. :)

(Okay, sorry, this can be wastelanded now.)

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Open it in Preview, it handles .pdf files. On Windows, use Adobe Acrobat. You won't be able to edit it, at least not without losing formatting, but you shouldn't have converted it to .pdf if you still wanted to edit it. Why don't you just open the .doc file?

3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

open it as a pdf in preview, and print it from there? or am i misinterpreting you?

4. dotnina thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone! I just edited the original post -- problem fixed.

I wouldn't have opened it again -- I was done -- but I thought it was weird that it had a Word icon (as opposed to Preview icon) even though it was already converted to PDF (with a PDF extension, no less)!

Anyway, thanks, and boyyyy do I feel sheepish. :eek:

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

For future references you can also right-click/control-click/action-menu-with-item-selected and choose Open With, and select the proper application that way.

6. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Next time, it'll be quicker to right-click, then Open with....|Preview. Or click once, press Apple-I, select Preview as standard viewer.