Word pictures paste as TIFFS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by york2600, Feb 24, 2004.

1. york2600 macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I'm having this problem that I just haven't had the chance to play around with much. If I paste a picture into a Word document and give it to a Windows user it says it needs Quicktime to decompress the TIFF. I'm pasting from a JPEG. It's happening to a professor here too and I was wondering what I need to do to get the pictures to paste in as JPGs so Mac / Windows users can view. BTW having quicktime on the Wintel doesn't help any.

2. mugent macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2002
    When you copy an image in OSX (Cocoa apps at least anyway), it likes to copy it in TIFF format, that's the 'native' bitmap format of OSX. The only way I can think of overcoming this problem, is to use Preview to create a new file from the clipboard and save it down as something Windows will like, a JPEG for example, and then insert it into Word document, don't copy and paste it, or the same problem will result. I can't think of anyway of overriding the format of the clipboard.

3. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    mugent, I thought "Pict" format was the default MAC format. at least in every app I use when a photo is missing and not embedded the "icon" indicates it's a PICT image.
    Why would you "paste" an image when you can "place picture from file". I know copying a file to the pasteboard will alter it's format so placing direclty fom disk to app in my opnion is the best for keeping cross compatible issue to a minimum.
  4. mugent macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2002
    I think the default format in Carbon apps probably is still Pict, but Cocoa likes PDF and TIFF. The Cocoa clipboard still supports Pict, but I doubt too many Cocoa apps will use it.

5. gbojim macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2002
    I'm not sure specifically about "pasting", but in my experience using the insert picture from file method or dragging and dropping works fine.
  6. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2003
    The exurbs, MN
    On an (almost) related note, on occasion text I copy from M$ Word into an iChat window wants to turn into an image file in iChat. Kind of annoying when all I want to copy is a couple sentences.
    I've found that if I paste into another app (Mail or something) then copy and paste again into iChat, it behaves.
  7. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2003
    don't paste

yeah, i know, it's more of a pain in the butt, but don't copy & paste when dealing w/ Office. one, you'll end up w/ issues like PC people not being able to view it. i've had a friend try sending a Doc of graphics that she likes for use in a logo 3 times & i STILL can't see any images. i feel sure she's trying to copy & paste on the PC side. my guess is that it works both ways.

secondly, you're adding to the file size. TIFF or PICT either one is uncompressed. you need to save it off to the desktop (or wherever) and convert it to JPEG or GIF if it's not already & place it into the doc like a couple people above have suggested. file size isn't too important when it's just one or two images, but do a whole presentation or report & it will add up quickly and all of a sudden you'll be wondering why you can't email it.

think of it as the price we pay for using Office...
  8. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Re: don't paste

Not quite true. Windows BMP images are truely uncompressed. This is, all 640x480 BMP images are the same size irrrespective on image content. TIFF stands for Tagged Image File Format. TIFF images are compressed in a nonlossy format. For a given resolution, the file size of a TIFF is determined by the contents of the image. PICT is primarily a vector graphic format. For raster graphics, a PICT may be simply a JPEG with a PICT wrapper. JPEG and GIF are both lossy formats.
  9. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    When in Photoshop if anyone remembers the amount of different file formats there are, and the fact that you can either turn compression on or off on most of them the variations become apparent.
    As a rule of Thumb - in commercial printing welike to see either .tif, .eps, or .bmp images preferably grayscale and Color (CMYK or spot) at 2x the output lines i.e. 150lpi = 300dpi (or ppi as some refer to it). As with black & white line drawing or on color bitmap images they should be as high a resolution as the final output device, Laser printers between 600 & 1200 dpi and most film imagesetters and platemakers from 2400dpi and up.
    As far as Inkjet printers and web images, .gif (compuserve GIF) are limited to only 256 colors and are used primarily for banner displays and other limited color use usually in L.A.B. or Indexed color. Jpegs are used more for Photos since the color range is almost that of the original and arenative RGB files.
  10. waynerrr macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2008
    cardiff, UK
    Pictures in word on a mac don't display on a pc

I investigated this and found the solution for me (can't say whether this will sort out the problem for you)

The problem occurs if you drag the image from the internet straight into word. Then the picture will not embed properly. The rule to remember is always drag a picture from the internet to desktop first. It will then embed itself properly
  11. waynerrr macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2008
    cardiff, UK
    images in word not showing on print preview or when printing on a apple mac applemac

If images in word not showing on print preview or when printing

mac procedure (im sure you can translate this for PC )

1) "word" "preferences"
    2) in the print section make sure include drawing objects box is ticked
    3) if its greyed out (no access to change it) then save document under another name then open new document and follow procedure