word problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hysteria, Jul 18, 2006.

1. hysteria macrumors newbie

It isn't that big a deal but it is annoying. Everytime I hit tab it goes into the middleish of the page. I went to format, paragraph, tabs and cleared it because it was set to like 1.78 for some reason and put in .5. It works until I like backspace and try it again and it gets reset to the 1.78. Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You went to Format>Tabs and set the default tab stop and it still won't work? If that is the case then that is odd. You say you fixed something in Format>Paragraph>tabs (which I'm not sure what that is) but if that is the case try the other menu.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Do you have custom tabs elsewhere in the document that you need to keep?

Does your Tabs window look like this?

Picture 5.png

If you don't need to keep any custom tabs, click "Clear All" then OK just to make sure there are no extraneous tabs hanging around. I don't really use custom tabs all that often, so I'm not terribly familiar with how Word handles them, but it almost sounds like you're only modifying tab setting for one line or paragraph and when you backspace you back-up into a paragraph with different tab settings. So ideally you'd want to make sure you don't have any custom tab setting anywhere in your document to eliminate any chance of that happening.