Word processing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sionharris, Nov 27, 2006.

1. sionharris macrumors regular

Forgive me for asking such a stupid question, but my girlfriend recently bought a MacBook for her college work. It arrived today and a few minutes ago she asked me, "So where do I do my work?" Now, I have been using Macs for over 15 years but have always had Microsoft Office (or AppleWorks or ClarisWorks) installed, and I am primarily an internet and music user anyway, so I'm a bit stumped. We will be installing Microsoft Office but what can she use in the meantime??!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Depending on how long you're going to take to get MS Office, either use the trial of MS Office or the trial of iWork (I think they're both 30 day trials). If you need more time, then you could...

1) Use TextEdit (already installed)

2) Get NeoOffice or OpenOffice.org (free)

Etc....

3. sionharris thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I suggested too, though apparently you can do these things on a PC without installing any additional software. I am ok with computers but some things I have never had to tackle, and a computer without Microsoft Office is one of them! It's so easy to take these things for granted.

4. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

If you put in the DVD that came with your Mac, you should be able to instal a free trial of both Office and iWork.

These are 30 day trials. You can buy then or opt for a free option like NeoOffice.

Personally, I am using NeoOffice until the UB version of Office is released next year (no later than July hopefully).

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

She probably means that PCs come with MS Works or something like that. There used to be an AppleWorks equivalent, but I don't think it made the jump to Intel.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

did she look through the applications folder? the trial version of both iworks and microsoft office were already installed on my imac. I would be a bit surprised if you didn't find them already on the computer

also, TextEdit, which is a basic word processor should already be installed if I remember, she could use it in the meantime

7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Oh right, I think they might be. I reinstalled everything (without the trials) when I got mine. Then later installed the trials

8. paintballer macrumors regular

PC's only have a 30 day trial of MS Office too.