Word Processor / Office Dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pommy1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. pommy1 macrumors newbie

pommy1

Hello

I am the proud owner of a PowerBook G4 15" SuperDrive - what a machine!

I need to buy an Office application and are not sure which direction to go in?

Any advice would be appreciated.....thank you.

Pommy1
    Waiheke Island
    NZ

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, the first thing you should do is ... wait! for the expected announcement of an Apple Office suite on January 10.

In the meantime, you can try neooffice.org, which offers a usable suite that integrates well will Mac OS X and is free!

If neither of those options end up working based on your needs, there's always the old standby, MS Office.

3. pommy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

pommy1

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

You could always use Open Office.. or even Neo Office

Might as well hold out until Apple release's their own!

5. Gee macrumors 65816

I know Apple may be just about to release an office type program, and I know there are some free programs out there, and I know it's expensive, but you just can't beat Microsoft Office. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are really the gold standard, and you can't go wrong with compatibility with our Windows friends.

6. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

If you need compatibility with MS Office for Windows then get the Mac version, which I think is better than the Windows version. If you don't need to share Word and Excel files with windows users then I would wait a week as Apple are expected to announce a significant upgrade to their Appleworks product.

7. CaNMaC macrumors newbie

Another vote for NeoOffice. I prefer it over Open Office because NeoOffice runs native in OS X (fonts look better, no need to run X11). Know, however, it needs 512MB of RAM. It's sluggish with my 256MB.

Abiword (www.abisource.com) is another free possibility (word processor only, but it opens WordPerfect files).