Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SasyBabe

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2003
New Jersey
What are the Pro's and Con's of Appleworks... Office v. X for mac... Word X...????

I went to the web site for OpenOffice.... and does it have alot of bugs with this program?? :confused:

I'm mostly looking for a word processor to write papers in...

BTW... any good programs to make a food menu for a store in???

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
appleworks pros:

- it's either free or cheap
- it's not MS
- has all the features i need

cons:

- office is the defacto standard

even though i still have office 98 (running under classic), if someone emails me an office doc i'll tell them to send the info some other way.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
AppleWorks 6 is my choice for small documents when compatibility is not necessary. My favourite thing is being able to open a draw document and pull a small spreadsheet, a chart, and some text into it and combine them with graphics very quickly.

Pros: quick and light, modules can be combined to create complex documents.

Cons: It's light in many ways, such as compatibility.

I have not used MS Word X, but have recently used Word XP and found it to still be a pain. For compatibility, I use ThinkFree Office. I paid $49.99 for it with a free year of support and internet storage. That also includes an Excel-compatible spreadsheet and a PowerPoint-compatible presentation application.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by bousozoku
I have not used MS Word X, but have recently used Word XP and found it to still be a pain. For compatibility, I use ThinkFree Office. I paid $49.99 for it with a free year of support and internet storage. That also includes an Excel-compatible spreadsheet and a PowerPoint-compatible presentation application.

How do you like ThinkFree Office? I've seen it at CompUSA on the shelf but not in action. I'm getting a Mac this Fall and will need MSOffice compatibility, but would rather not pay lots of cash to Microsoft just to be compatible.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Appleworks is an excellent basic program that will do anything the fancier ones that cost more will do. I find however I use Word X a lot more just because compatibility with my home computers and the school (Windows) is so much better. Depends on what you need and compatibility. Word X is a rofessional program and more polished, but either would be good solid choices. It depends really on compatibility and what you want to spend. M$ Office v.X is a great suite, but is not cheap.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
if you're just writing school papers (like i am), abiword or openoffice would be just fine (and free). however, they require that you install an xfree86 distribution (not that big a deal if you just download apple's "x11"). If appleworks came with your computer, use it. it is a great program that has a lot of features and holds a special place in my heart since i've been writing my school papers in claris/appleworks since about the 5th grade (and loads in about 2-3 seconds on my g3 imac). it does a decent job of translating text only .doc files, but people should really start using richtext for formatted documents (and i'm sure they will now that i've said to do it :rolleyes: ). if you don't already have appleworks, you may want to wait until nisus writer comes to osx. it's just a word processor, but it is a lot slicker than appleworks and costs about the same. if you already have x11 and fink installed, give abiword a try, it's fairly small and very usefull.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by jrv3034
How do you like ThinkFree Office? I've seen it at CompUSA on the shelf but not in action. I'm getting a Mac this Fall and will need MSOffice compatibility, but would rather not pay lots of cash to Microsoft just to be compatible.

I like ThinkFree Office a lot. Speed doesn't seem to be an issue, even after the Java update to v1.4.1. I have seen warnings when working with Office XP documents but have never found anything that didn't work correctly. It also looks enough like the MS applications that it's easy to use quickly.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by zimv20
if someone emails me an office doc i'll tell them to send the info some other way.
Doesn't happen that way at work... you get what you get, and that's it.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
My thoughts

Firstly, I have ThinkFree and I don't like it. Sure, it's compatable, but its performance sucks (I've got an 800 MHz G4 with 768 MB RAM).

Secondly, I hate AppleWorks. I use it when I need to double space and know the length of what I'm writing easily, but I use Text Edit at all other times.
Don't get me wrong, Apple's made some good progess with AppleWorks. My dislike of the app goes back to the earlier Claris Works days.

In short, Apple Works does just that, it works. Personally, I'm waiting for Apple to release a full-featured office suite.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
OpenOffice works very well for me, using Apple's X11. It asks repeatedly if I want to save in OO's format; other than that, I have no complaints. It is big and takes a long time to load.

AppleWorks has limited Office compatibility and will crash on many Office files (esp. spreadsheets) and display others "funny". But if you are the one doing the writing, you can produce files that Office users can read; and AppleWorks is a nice simple word processor; it loads quickly.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
my only complaint about appleworks as a valid WP is that it's so simple-- i'd love to use something like this at work (we use office of course) but it doesn't come with nearly the featureset i need...

pnw

benjaminpg

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I personally use LaTeX, a typesetting language. Although it seems intimidating at first it is very powerful. It is not a word processor, however, it is a markup language, similar to HTML. There are some huge advantages to this factor alone. Every file is a simple ASCII file which can be edited with any text editor (I like BBedit.) This means there is almost no chance of corruption, because the format is open, heck, you write in it.

The main advantages to it though is that you rarely need to figure out formatting details such as margins. Typesetters who know a whole lot more than I do about what is best have already designed the system. When I add a list, it just plain looks good. When I use the title command, it just plain looks good.

There is a fairly steep learning curve to do much other than type standard papers, etc. But once you climb it, it is easy to learn new commands. Another advantage is that once you find out how to do some complex formatting, all the commands can be copied and pasted and changed a little bit, instead of having to search through dialogs to find the function.

The largest difficulty in learning LaTeX is overcoming the conceptual gap. Most people have been trained to type and expect that to be the final result. In LaTeX, it is very different, you type commands and it produces a result, but the stuff you type in looks nothing like the result. Programmers, including web designers are used to this sort of process and will probably find LaTeX easier to learn. However most people can train themselves to distinguish between the two and become very efficient in LaTeX.

You can obtain the standard teTex installation from http://www.rna.nl/tex.html, which can then be used with the free iTexMac or TexShop programs which the site also mentions.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Oh geez, now something like LaTeX is really off-topic. :D

We could also add troff and nroff to the list as they're already on the system.

By the way, since the source to TextEdit is available, does anyone think that a larger feature set would make it a good word processor?

I was recently looking at changing the source code to automate some small things and it might be interesting to see how far it could go.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Office X for Students

If you missed the "Office Romance" promotion ($300 or so off of Office X), and you're a student, you can get Office X from a number of retailers, such as academicuniverse.com. Shop around for the best price, but you can generally get the whole suite for like $180 or so. Wow! College pays for itself!

And I personally prefer Word and Office to the "free" or cheap suites available. As FelixDerKater said, MS has been working on Office for years, and it IS their showcase program for the Mac.

--DT

benjaminpg

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Oh geez, now something like LaTeX is really off-topic. :D

We could also add troff and nroff to the list as they're already on the system.
Granted, many people prefer to use something less technical, but those who do serious writing, especially scientific writing it is very useful.

Come on, nobody really writes much on troff and nroff, although I know very little about them.
By the way, since the source to TextEdit is available, does anyone think that a larger feature set would make it a good word processor?

I was recently looking at changing the source code to automate some small things and it might be interesting to see how far it could go. [/B]

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by benjaminpg
Granted, many people prefer to use something less technical, but those who do serious writing, especially scientific writing it is very useful.

Come on, nobody really writes much on troff and nroff, although I know very little about them.

I would certainly hope not. My second computer class "allowed" us to use either of them rather than using a typewriter. I think they're still quite useful for writing man pages, especially for those who use vi as an editor. :)

benjaminpg

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I would certainly hope not. My second computer class "allowed" us to use either of them rather than using a typewriter. I think they're still quite useful for writing man pages, especially for those who use vi as an editor. :)

We won't even go to using vi as an editor. Some people swear by it, but I swear by BBEdit :D

Yeah, it's supposed to be good for writing man pages, but I've never had the need to write man pages. None of my programs are command-line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.