Word Processor

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cromulent, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

First a little background, I am about to start a Creative Writing degree in September so as you can probably imagine a word processor is going to be the single most important piece of software on my computer for me.

I have been using Neo Office recently and while I think it is perfectly acceptable for day to day tasks and even some long winded writing it feels clunky and slow. I also had a rather nasty and painful experience when I tried to send a document to someone using its save in word format option. Given all this I have decided to get Microsoft Office as it offers the best in terms of compatibility.

I have a mac pro which has boot camp installed and setup but the question is when will the Universal version of Microsoft Office be released for the Mac? Is there any information available?

If it is before September I guess I will be forced to get Office for Windows but hopefully the Mac version will be out before this.

On a related note, are there any problems transferring documents from Word on the Mac to Word on the PC? Does it lose its formatting at all?

Thank you for any help.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's scheduled for the second half of the year. Note that's any time between early July and late December

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

In general the cross platform thing works fairly well with Word documents, however, you may run into the occassional formatting issue. If the formatting is crucial to you and the other party is only going to read your document, then sending it as a PDF file is a surer way to protect the formatting

4. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

with Microsoft, expect the latest if not later.

5. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Abiword is a good little program for word processing. It's not as clunky as Neooffice and it gets the job done.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If you want to just do a ton of writing, TextEdit (which comes on every Mac) does a fine job of being very simple, gives you enough formatting options, and can save files as Word documents. Why download anything else when you already have this? I use it pretty much every day for essays and reports at school. Learn More About TextEdit

Is Word really so important that you'd install Boot Camp just to avoid Rosetta?

7. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Edit: NM. Just caught my mistake!!!

Have you uplaoded the latest patch for Neo Office? Sometimes helps with speed...

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The biggest issue I have found thus far is when I take excel graphs and save them as jpegs then insert them into word, windows users usually say they cannot see them.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Does Word save images within the file or do they have to accompany the file? (I stopped using Word years ago...)

11. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

The pictures are saved inside the document itself. Everything is self-contained

12. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

After copying from excel you can use paste special in word to just insert the picture and not the whole excel document. Saves tons of space if you have large excel documents.

Nuc

13. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Thank you for the help everyone.

I guess I will just have to see if it is released before September or not now. If it is not I guess I will go for the Windows version, might as well get Vista at the same time as well if I go that route.

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

So none of our suggestions sufficed? What did you want to hear?

15. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

16. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

I wanted to hear that the Mac version of Office was going to be released before September. As far as I know now it is due for release between July - December, this I am taking to mean that it probably will not be released before September.

As I already stated I'm set on Microsoft Office because of painful experiences I have had transfering documents between Neo Office and Word (and yes I did save them in the correct format).

17. bobert1985 macrumors member

Go iWork. Cheaper, better features you'll probably use, better implemented (IMO), and just a great deal.

18. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

While I really do appreciate your suggestion, I'm getting Word for piece of mind. I really do not want to go through the pain I did when sending my CV out to companies (you would think more people would have heard of PDF by now) caused by Neo Office screwing up the formatting of my documents when it saved it in Word format (they looked fine when saved in native .odt format).

Anyway the student edition is fairly cheap and for me the price is worth the piece of mind. I have been using Office 97 before I switched back to the Mac and 10 years before needing an upgrade seems like a decent work life to me for £200 or so.