Word Productivity Tips?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Abulia, May 19, 2006.

1. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

This is something of a strange request. At work I use MS Word and know it very well; my productivity is just fine. When I go home, however, and use Word 2004 I just find it…lacking. It isn't features or anything like that, it's the interface. In short, I'm not that productive on the Mac version.

Does anyone have any tips on how to best utilize Word 2004 on the Mac and get great productivity out of this application? Simple stuff like bar layout, etc, would be a great boon. As a writer I find myself doing more work on my PC laptop from work than on my Mac at home and I'd really like to change that.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Haven't used a PC in eons, so it's hard for me to say. :(

I write about five to nine thousand words a day and get along just fine with Mac Office. :eek:

3. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Well, that's what I do as well, so mind sharing your layout?

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Yeah, Times New Roman. :D

I copy and paste most of my stuff into a PHP Database, so maybe I am not a fair person to ask. I don't have to format anything. :eek:

5. Gee macrumors 65816

What do you both do, if you don't mind me asking?

6. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Well, I do a lot of writing at my work (papers, proposals, etc) and am currently finishing my Masters thesis. In my spare time (ha!) I'm also a writer with about a dozen published works. Check the linky for my blog and writing credits.

So trying to get the most out of my Office 2004 Mac experience would help with productivity. :)

7. iGary Guest

iGary

I freelance for a dozen or so magazines, and currently I'm providing Web copy for a marine-related Web site.

In reality, I hate writing and wish I could get out of it. :eek:

8. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

Have you tried positioning stuff like the formatting palette in different places? I fooled around a bit with it, and now, it seems to be in the perfect place for all my formatting "stuff". You just have to find your area on your screen that you like.
    Also, I've developed a script, that gives you three options when opening MS Office. I find this really useful, and I could send you the code if you wanted.
    Here's a "screenshot" :p
    Picture 1.png

9. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Yea, I've tried moving stuff around but I just can't find a placement/style that works for me (yet).

I can't believe there aren't more Word "power" users on these forums.