Word X assistance please...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevietheb, Jul 20, 2006.

1. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Earlier this week I opened a word file sent to me. When I tried to print the document using cmd-p, nothing happened! For some reason, all of the shortcuts have changed (see attached shot of the File menu).

Anyone have any ideas how this happened or what I should do?

I have trashed all MS Office prefs (though this does not affect Excel and other Office apps). I have deleted and re-installed Office X from the disc. None of these worked.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

How odd...

Maybe try going to Tools --> Customize --> Customize Keyboard... --> Reset All...

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't have Word.X installed anywhere anymore, but try Tools->Customize->Keyboard and then see if the Reset All button at the bottom is available.

(Sorry, I was typing at the same time).

Other things to do include trying to delete your normal.dot file, and also look and see if Word.X didn't have some sort of feature for WordPerfect users to make the keyboard shortcuts match WordPerfect? There's some vague memory of this in my mind. I don't know if it applies or the specifics, but look for wordperfect in the Word.X Help....

4. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

The "Reset All" button is gray...cannot click it.

I should add that I have also deleted the Microsoft User Data folder in Documents. That didn't seem to do anything either.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm sorry -- I edited my post -- look at the bottom half?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Crazy stuff. So, you opened this file and now the problem is in all Office documents, all Word documents or just this one Word document? Dare I say it, have you tried repairing permissions (just for fun, if anything)? :p

7. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

The problem is in all Word docs (other Office apps are not affected). I have tried to repair permissions...didn't do anything for me. I deleted the Normal.dot template...that didn't work either.

I can't seem to find anything about switching Word shortcuts to match Wordperfect. I've both tried to find this in Word's Help and by doing various google searches.

Thanks for all the suggestions...keep 'em coming.

Incidentally, I don't know if it helps—but, I believe the document that I opened that may have started all of this was drafted on an older version of Word on OS 9. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly which version, and the author is currently unavailable. I'm not SURE that opening this document caused it—that's just when I noticed it (I don't use Word a whole lot...to be honest...)

8. REDSRT4 macrumors regular

I had a similar problem and it was from an older verison as well.

9. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Were you able to fix it? How?