WordProcessing Programs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sobering, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Sobering macrumors regular

Hey guys. What are some good word processing programs for Mac OS X? I need to do some course work but having nothing suitable to write with on here.

Thanks

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well, there's obviously the Microsoft Office suite. As for free options, a lot of people like NeoOffice.

3. Sobering thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Yeah I'm looking for free alternitaves now as I'm pretty much broke.

4. Frisco macrumors 68020

5. Sobering thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Frisco! Any of those apps save in formats that Windows can read? Cause right now my printer is hooked up to my PC so I'll need to send it to my pc to print.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

TextEdit, which is included in your Applications folder, can create, read, and save Microsoft Word documents.

Just make sure you choose to save as a word document when you're saving your files.

7. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

I'll second the above mention of NeoOffice. It's now aqua. It's totally free, very handy, and handles more formats than anything else. I've used it for 50 - 70 page academic papers with very little trouble. (far less trouble than word has caused.) You can open and save .doc files if you need to.

Or, if you want to stick with supporting free software, you could just install OpenOffice on your PC - it's the PC version (and predecessor) of NeoOffice. Free and great.

8. theman5725 macrumors 6502

Microsoft Office is good, but I couldn't afford it so I went with NeoOffice, which is pretty much just as good. I open and save things in .doc all the time and never have problems.

9. Frisco macrumors 68020

http://www.writely.com/

I got everyone at work using Writely for all our needs there and it's worked perfectly. Having it as part of a productivity suite inside google would be incredible.

Hopefully this is the future. Microsoft needs to go.

Google also has spreadsheets online that will meet most people's needs. Just Google "Google Spreadsheets".

I think maybe Google is finally ready to compete against MS Office: Link

10. twistmac macrumors member

twistmac

NeoOffice is really good and free. It's actually UB too, unlike Word.