words that just shouldn't be

Discussion in 'Community' started by evoluzione, Apr 7, 2003.

1. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    so, apparently here in the good ol' U S of A there's the word "winningest". What the....???? :rolleyes:

any other words that just should not be allowed in your opinion???

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

3. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

agreed. :)

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Makes sence

That word makes sence.

"He was the most winningest runner of all time"

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

that sentence made NO sense at all. you can't modify a superlative.

'he was the winningest runner of all time'

that makes more sense, but i say its a stupid word.

6. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

The word,

Aint

Should be destroyed like inbred cockroaches.

At the local convenience store:
    Me: I would like a pack of Camel lights please,
    Casher: Aint got no more.

Makes me want to jump over the counter and slap them with my d*ck untill it hurts to much to do it anymore.

OOPS, Did I say that outloud?

:eek:

7. boskie macrumors regular

Over here we should eliminate 'innit.
    'innit?

8. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

With your duck? Not the winningest thing to do! That is soooo cruel, 'innit. You should be ashamed of yourself, that is something that just aint supposed to be done!

9. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

aluminum

it sounds wierd everytime I hear it pronounced like that.

It's Aluminium (AL-YOU-MIN-E-UM)

always has been, always will be :D

Tortoise

People who pronounce it "TOY-TOYCE" should be pointed to and laughed at till they get it right :D

It's TOR-TUS or TOR-T'S damn it!!!

no offence.

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

well, I can tell you right now, nobody says winningest in Austin,
    Texas - or all of Texas for that matter.

One word I would love to see go would be ******. When people
    use this word, it annoys the crap out of me. :)

11. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

I think the idiots who use stupid words and stupid word combinations should be eliminated. What follows is an overheard converstation from the res caf at my college.
    Random stupid kid: Ima get sum hot chocolate
    Stupid lackey: you should put milk instead of marshmallows, kid
    R.S.K.: NA, YO. MARSHMALLOWS IZZZZZ MILK.
    :eek: ...........
    Also I think the word Holla (or hollah, or holler) should be done away with completely as it has been abused to the point wearing dark sunglasses and saying that it fell into doorknobs. It shouldn't be possible to have an enitre converstaion with just ONE word, no matter how many different inflections you use.

And, apparently, the word belligerent (or beligerant, as it is spelled in some circles:eek: :eek: ) has ceased to be a useful word for describing behavior, as it now means drunk...

I may be done ranting...hang on........hmmmm.......................yup, im done:)

Oh, one more thing. For people who like making fun of the dregs of our society, I encourage you to check out an upcoming site I'm working on with some friends called cyborgity.com. It's going to be web-comic based, illustrating our adventures in exploring the deterioration of the human race. As of last night, we finished inking several comics, and probably in the next month, the site will be up and running. Here's a peek at our nifty Header... its actually two posts down because i suck.:D

12. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

there are some really funny words in other languages that really shouldnt exist - there's a little-used german verb which means "to beat a badger". Hmm, now i wonder why its never used?

<offtopic>While i'm talking about verbs, the justification for not splitting infitives (i.e. "to boldly go" is considered wrong; should be "to go boldly") is due to the fact that infitive verbs in latin are one word, as opposed to the "to [verb]" in English. As you can see this is crap, because we're not talking Latin, it's english, why shouldn't we??

Correct me if i'm wrong, but in the US the postal service deliver the mail, in the UK Royal Mail deliver the post. Explain that!!</offtopic>

13. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Methinks thou does protest too much... heh

FYI the word ****** has more then one meaning you know. In times past, a fagot was a bunch of bound sticks. The extra 'g' changes the meaning from the original, but they sound the same.

SYLLABICATION: fag·ot
    PRONUNCIATION:fag' et
    VARIANT_FORMS:also fag·got
    NOUN: 1. A bundle of twigs, sticks, or branches bound together. 2. A bundle of pieces of iron or steel to be welded or hammered into bars.

TRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: fag·ot·ed also fag·got·ed , fag·ot·ing , fag·got·ing , fag·ots , fag·gots
    1. To bind into a fagot; bundle. 2. To decorate with fagoting.

ETYMOLOGY: Middle English, from Old French, from Old Provençal, possibly from Vulgar Latin *facus, from Greek phakelos, bundle.

As for words that should not be.... microsoft... heh

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

What threads would you target? Please not our/your favorites! ;)

16. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

"microsoft". that should be banned. really. if i had a peecee, i'd make that microsoft - free running only *BSD and/or Linux in it.

and if i think about the word "microsoft" not as with computers.. well, even that way it really isn't impressive. yucky.

"real basic". it sounds so "really basic", i mean .. moron.

"wellness". okay finally a non-computer term but it just sounds so idiotic.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would like to see alot of the politically correct words not uses any longer or use them in properly. Such as "gay" which means happy.

18. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ~cracks up~ you're on to something there mate.

in my humble opinion (sorry, don't like acronyms ;) ) the words winningest, and gotten, should not be used, maybe it's because I've been brought up in england, and they just aren't words there. They're bad, grammatically.
    I try not to use the word "got" too, there really is no need for it, it's just laziness.

having said all that, my command over the English language, is diabolical :rolleyes: call me what you will, but i do try and speak proper english, like what i should. ;)

eyelikeart...not that useless of a thread is it? people are discussing, isn't that the aim?? :)

19. medea macrumors 68030

medea

something that often bothers me is when people are saying a number, such as a phone number, and the pronounce the 0 as an o instead of zero, o is a letter people not a number, it's zero.....I mean you don't see people dropping the si off of 6 do you.

Oh and let's not get started with the whole chat/IM/text messaging crap.....
    I luv u 2 so don't h8 me

20. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

i don't understand why aluminum would be pronounced (AL-YOU-MIN-E-UM). doesn't make any sense to me.

there is an alternate spelling of it though, "aluminium" in which it's pronounced how you say it is. but i think if you were to see the word aluminum in a book its pronounced "al-OO-min-um" (caps for emphasis)

21. tcolling macrumors member

You know, I'm thinkin' that if you said to your buddy, "Go get me a fagot to burn, I want to start a fire", chances are you might be accused of political incorrectness.

The English (not necessarily referring to the Queen's English, for you Brits) language is indeed the most colorful and poorest way of communicating human beings have ever developed. My favorite example is the following two sentences, which are phonetically equivalent, yet opposite in meaning.

"I'm going to a good old-fashioned barn raising."
    "I'm going to a good old-fashioned barn razing."

Like every episode of Three's Company, all each collection of words we attempt to put together can only muster confusion and misinterpretation. I've never trusted that what I hear is 100%what the speaker intended. (One of the reasons for so many flame wars, methinks.)

Oh, and by the way, two of my pet peeves:

"Irregardless" - Not a word, the word is "regardless".

"I could care less" - This phrase is supposed to state the lack of care, but by discluding the negative, it simply means that one cares to some unknown degree. The phrase is "I couldn't care less", which means that the caring is of the smallest possible degree.

22. crankopotamus macrumors newbie

alyoominum

I never thought I'd see the day when this knowledge would come in handy. My degree is in technical theatre (stage management), but my school made all techies take some acting classes and all actors take some basic tech classes.

In Voice & Movement, we learned Standard American English, which was essentially unlearning our regional accents. The "Y" sound, as in the word You, is known as the jot in the International Phonetic Alphabet. Just so you don't think I'm making this up. Anyway, according to the teacher, one is supposed to stick in a jot (pronounced yot) before the letter U in most words. So:
    Tuesday = Tyoosday
    Tuba = Tyooba
    Student = Styoodent
    Never mind what people say to me when I talk like that.

But the teacher was careful to point out that you can't put a jot after the letter L, because your tongue and palate aren't in the right place after saying the L to say the jot. It's too rich. So aluminum is, in fact, pronounced al-oo-min-um.

-Crankopotamus

PS How about "nuc-u-lar"? Makes me cringe whenever Dubya says it.

23. tcolling macrumors member

I also just remembered that in England, a fag is a cigarette (at least I think). I can see "I'm going to go burn a fag" is another one I wouldn't want to hear.

24. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Re: alyoominum

Yeah, I've noticed he says that, too. lol

As for aluminum, I have always pronounced it just like it looks - a-loo-min-um

25. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

'i "brang" my lunch today' is annoying to me. it's "brought."

'"y'all" get on outta here' is annoying, and i get too much of it here in TX.