work cultures from hell

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Nov 15, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i have a friend that works at a military college where everybody hates everybody else and the coporate culture is extremely punitive and aggressive...only the students are treated well though

they are forced to party together, for work, and travel together, and it took them over a year to find a dean of their department from the outside becuase their reputation preceded them:p

any work from hell stories? life in hell? dilbert?
  2. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
  3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    well, they are far from most people's electronics favorite, so i dont feel bad smashing them here...
    Best Buy.
    It was hell. They expected us to be perfectly happy all the time, and present this phony "family" concept of the other employees/managers. But beneath the "we're here to help" exterior they wanted us to gouge every customer who set foot in the door...replacement plans, batteries, accessories, anything that would get them in the store and handing over gobs of money.
    What made the entire experience that much worse was that i was working merchandising, a position I usually enjoy, but not at 6am, and not when the goal is to drain all creativity from the job. Follow the planogram, and if the store doesnt match, make it match. Do not, however, fill empty displays with something else, and do not leave displays empty.
    And its not even that it was a retail environment that wanted to be just as focussed on that in my current job, but its to get the customer what they want and have them buy it from our store, not from another...its about customer satisfaction, not JUST the bottom line.
    So yea, best buy (remmeber, its Best BUY, not bestbuy-grrr) life is like some sort of freakishly twisted satire of retail life.
  4. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    isn't McDonalds crap? i've never worked in a fast food place, but i'm guessing they'd all be pretty much the same. bad.

also the latest version of the Mcquarie (not sure if that's correct) dictionary has a listing for McJob. it went something like this: McJob - a job with low skill requirement and poor job prospects for the future. obviously McDonalds didn't like that... :D but i'd say it's an accurate description.

i would never work in a McDonalds.