Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
i am going to try to get a job in the retail store there over the summer when i get home from college, but i have a few questions.....does anyone know what one muust go through to work there? (ie some type of training program etc)...whats the average starting hourly wage, and do you get any discoutns?

2nd, if anyone needs any help with their business or anything and needs a little extra help with whatever it is, and would allow me to do it over a computer from the comfort of my dorm room in school, let me know....id love to make a little extra cash before the semester is over......PM if this interests you, and we can talk

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
I thought I read somewhere that the average starting salary was around $13 an hour with a pretty decent discount. However I think there was an extended amount of time that you had to work there before the discount came into effect.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
derajfast said:
i am going to try to get a job in the retail store there over the summer when i get home from college, but i have a few questions.....does anyone know what one muust go through to work there? (ie some type of training program etc)...whats the average starting hourly wage, and do you get any discoutns?

2nd, if anyone needs any help with their business or anything and needs a little extra help with whatever it is, and would allow me to do it over a computer from the comfort of my dorm room in school, let me know....id love to make a little extra cash before the semester is over......PM if this interests you, and we can talk

1. You must be persistant about wanting to work there. It took me 2 online applications, cover letter and resume sent to manager, and visiting the store for me to get an interview. Discounts: 10% in store all the time. A personal 1 a year 25% off via apple.com/store and 3 20% off friends and familiy discounts.

O BTW...when you start working kiss goodbye posting here.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
mad jew said:
Even if it's merely a retail position? :(

Yes. the official word was that you can read rumor sites on YOUR OWN TIME but can not post there because they do not wnat you representing apple incorrectly.

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
Flyinace2000 said:
Yes. the official word was that you can read rumor sites on YOUR OWN TIME but can not post there because they do not wnat you representing apple incorrectly.
Just curious to know how would they even know if you are posting from an internet cafe. :rolleyes:

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
fayans said:
Just curious to know how would they even know if you are posting from an internet cafe. :rolleyes:

I am just saying that if you get caught you can be fired. I personally did not feel like taking the risk. If you want to make an annonomus macrumors account and post from public (or stolen) wifi go for it, just know the consiquences if caught.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
im 18, a college student, and just really want to work over the summer....i dont really have a resume.....i guess i have little chance

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
derajfast said:
im 18, a college student, and just really want to work over the summer....i dont really have a resume.....i guess i have little chance

Well make a resume. Its not impossible and you will need one sooner than later.

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
It does really make sense that all apple employees are discouraged to participate in any apple-related forums to avoid any misrepresentation. Ethical issue aside, what amuses me is how do they manage to monitor all its employees' activities? :rolleyes:

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
what ever happened to the good old days of just a simple application? im not looking for a career here....just to make a little extra spending money, which would most likely go to apple products

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
fayans said:
It does really make sense that all apple employees are discouraged to participate in any apple-related forums to avoid any misrepresentation. Ethical issue aside, what amuses me is how do they manage to monitor all its employees' activities? :rolleyes:
They don't, necessarily... but there are all sorts of tricks (canary traps, for example) that employers can use to try to monitor what employees repost to the Internet.

The point, though, is that if you ARE caught, you'll be fired. Whether you want to risk it is your choice, but the outcome of getting tagged for posting is predetermined.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
derajfast said:
what ever happened to the good old days of just a simple application? im not looking for a career here....just to make a little extra spending money, which would most likely go to apple products

Not like you were around in the good old days.....niether was I for that matter. Get used to it, its a competative world out there.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
clayj said:
They don't, necessarily... but there are all sorts of tricks (canary traps, for example) that employers can use to try to monitor what employees repost to the Internet.

Realistically, they're not going to do this to a floor sales person though. :)

clayj said:
The point, though, is that if you ARE caught, you'll be fired. Whether you want to risk it is your choice, but the outcome of getting tagged for posting is predetermined.

True, and it raises the question of whether you want to actively disobey a direct request form your employer (and one of the cooler companies in the world). :)

I personally don't see anything wrong with maintaining an active membership in these forums to partake in the community and assistance sections. I think it's probably the rumours part that'd get to them.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
mad jew said:
I personally don't see anything wrong with maintaining an active membership in these forums to partake in the community and assistance sections. I think it's probably the rumours part that'd get to them.

Its all the same. What if yougive out crud advice and the person you help thinks "Wow all people that work for Apple are idiots, whats Dell's phone number?" Its as much to protect new products as it is to protect their corporate image.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Flyinace2000 said:
Its all the same. What if yougive out crud advice and the person you help thinks "Wow all people that work for Apple are idiots, whats Dell's phone number?" Its as much to protect new products as it is to protect their corporate image.

True, but I was assuming that the member wouldn't admit to working with Apple. But yeah, that's a very good point.

aznsal612

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2004
I don't know about you guys, but I've talked about MacRumors with my co-workers, and discuss issues with rumors on Mac products, and it doesn't seem to have caused any commotion. But I think if anything, they just have that policy so there won't be a chance of any inside leaks, despite the fact that retail knows NOTHING about product releases. Hell, I get more info from MacRumors than at work. I show up to work knowing about a product release because I read this site, not because I am informed at work.

And another thing, retail for Apple is completely different than the idea of Apple Computers. It is a lot of fun because you get to discuss Apple products, but at the end of the day, it's about sales. It's about sales pitch, attachment rates for AppleCare, dotmac, and ProCare. We have sales goals, quarterly incentives, etc. All the things that are true about a business. These things aren't secrets, but probably get overlooked, as I certainly did in being overzealous for working for them.

Considering that aspect of work, it's sales, but it's at Apple. So it's not that bad. :p

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
aznsal612 said:
...despite the fact that retail knows NOTHING about product releases. Hell, I get more info from MacRumors than at work.
I believe this completely. When the iPod Gen5 was announced, I called the store here in Charlotte about 5 minutes later to see when they'd be getting them in... the gist of the conversation:

Me: "Hey, when are you guys getting in the new iPods?"
Him: "What are you talking about?"
Me: "The new iPods. They just announced them. They've got video capability now."
<long pause>
Me: "They're on the Apple web site RIGHT NOW."
Him: "Oh. Huh. Well, we haven't gotten any official word about new products yet..."
Me: "Never mind, I'll call back in a couple of hours."

Heck, the first new iPod the guys saw here in Charlotte was MINE.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
clayj said:
I believe this completely. When the iPod Gen5 was announced, I called the store here in Charlotte about 5 minutes later to see when they'd be getting them in... the gist of the conversation:

Me: "Hey, when are you guys getting in the new iPods?"
Him: "What are you talking about?"
Me: "The new iPods. They just announced them. They've got video capability now."
<long pause>
Me: "They're on the Apple web site RIGHT NOW."
Him: "Oh. Huh. Well, we haven't gotten any official word about new products yet..."
Me: "Never mind, I'll call back in a couple of hours."

HAHAHAHAHA

Yeah there are some clueless salespeople sometimes.

And yes working for the Apple Store is a job in retail. You have numbers to reach and goals to surpass. Retail is Retail

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
mad jew said:
And even if you posted from home, it's not exactly ethical for them to monitor what you do outside of work hours. :(

In the US, it happens all the time, and its legal. Most states in the US are "right to work" states, meaning you can be fired for any reason (except race, religion)
One employee in Alabama got fired for having a "Kerry for President" bumper sticker on her car.
Someone else that worked for Anheuser-Busch got fired for drinking a Coors in a bar on their own time.
And some companies are starting to fire people if they smoke..on their own time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.