Work Shoe Recommendations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vrDrew, Mar 6, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2010
    Midlife, Midwest
    I work in an environment where I need decent looking, but hard wearing, work shoes.

Upon taking my new job about eight months ago, I bought a pair of Sketchers black Oxford shoes. And I have to say, I'm not at all happy with how they have held up. Despite being worn only ~ 24 hours per week, regular cleaning with appropriate polishes and waxes, and daily use of shoe trees - the shoes are rapidly falling apart.

The leather has split, badly, in several places - despite only minor contact with metal objects. In a couple of places the upper is separating from the (rubber) sole. And in a several areas it appears that the "coating" of top surface is separating from the underlying leather.

I don't mind taking time and effort to look after my shoes. I don't think I'm particularly hard on them - although my work environment does mean I will sometimes get water or other contaminants lightly dropped on the upper. And I don't mind investing in (multiple) pairs of good quality shoes. The main (work) requirement is that they should have soles that are non-slip, and that they should be suitable for an environment where I'll be on my feet 6-8 hours at a stretch. The job is almost 100% inside, walking on a polished VCT tile floor. Toe-protection would be nice, but is not a requirement.

I'd like to be able to buy some new shoes, confident that I'll be able to get multiple years of decent service out of them. Any suggestions of brands and/or models I should be looking at?
  2. macrumors member

Jan 6, 2013
    I have had the same experience with Sketchers. They look great and are comfortable at first and then go to heck in a hurry. I tend to look for quality shoes on close out. Kenneth Cole usually has a large selection of clearance on their site. Those have probably been the longest lasting for me.
  3. Guest

Sep 19, 2011
    Ohio, United States
    I like Red Wings for work boots.

They have different options for different stuff (waterproof, electricproof, steel toe, etc....)

oh nvm.

I am a huge Allen Edmonds fan, so maybe look into those?
  4. macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2012
    Have you looked into Danners? They are pricey but worth every penny.
  5. macrumors 68030

Oct 9, 2008
    In my world.
  6. macrumors 68000

Jan 19, 2010
    North Hollywood, CA
    Nike Conquer ACG (Air Max)
    I wear these to the office. Super comfortable, light and durable. I liked them so much I bought five pairs in a few colors.

7. ejb190, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

macrumors 65816

I suggest checking out a place that carries Red Wing, Carhartt, Dickies, and other "Blue Collar" clothing. There is a place near me that carries a lot of different shoes for police, construction, outdoors, and so on. Find a place like that and ask them what they recommend. They cater to people who abuse shoes - like me! Red Wing, Wolverine, and some of the other work shoe companies also make oxford style work shoes.

I wear Timberland hiking boots. A new pair every two years. And by the time I am done, they are shot!
  8. macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2008
    Always a day away
    Interesting. I was going to suggest Skechers, because I've owned several pairs and they've all lasted me a LONG time, and are VERY comfortable. I have about five pairs in my current rotation.
  9. thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2010
    Midlife, Midwest
    Thanks for all the recommendations.

I think part of the problem may have been that I "overwear" the shoes - ie. wear them sometimes two days in succession, without letting them thoroughly dry out between wearings.

I'm going to check out the Red Wings and a couple of other brands.

Thanks again.
  10. macrumors 68020

Sep 20, 2004
  11. macrumors 68030

May 28, 2011
    Suffolk, Virginia
    Red Wings, definitely. I have a pair of steel toe boots which are broken in now. They feel like a pair of heavy socks. Oh so comfy.