Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Talk about a cool job.... Working with future Apple and nvidea products before they are even announced! That would be cool. What wouldl really stink is tht you couldn't tell anyone

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Originally posted by Capt Underpants
Talk about a cool job.... Working with future Apple and nvidea products before they are even announced! That would be cool. What wouldl really stink is tht you couldn't tell anyone
Hehe.. from what i understand, writing device drivers is the worst computer job imaginable... I mean, it's incredibly important, because if you write crappy drivers then your graphics card doesn't provide max performance (which current NVidia drivers are guilty of)

RoadMonkey

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
I don't think Pixar uses NVIDIA at all for their "farms", do they?

Pixar would not care what video card is in their "farms". Programs such as Maya, Softimage, etc.. use raw CPU power to calculate the frames when rendering. A graphics card is only necessary during the modeling process, where you are rendering low res images real time.

- Eric

Ge4-ce

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Belgium
when working with 3D, a good graphical card is the max...

I would definitely buy a nVidia High-end workstation card for the powermac G5.. This would make it the ultimate workstation!

it is this kind of stuff that held pixar back from buying Mac's for 3D.. they have a lot of them for Photoshop and stuff,.. but for Modeling, AND ANIMATING! you need a high-end grafix card. (at least at their level) and until now,.. there are no such cards..

Because pixar showed such an enthousiasm about the new G5's,.. I guess that nVidia or/and ATI are converting their pro-cards to the Mac...

I will wait until that card is available before buying a My new Mac...

Ge4-ce

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
So is the general belief then that this is only for new drivers, or will it affect all cards?

AppleMatt

Ge4-ce

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Belgium
That, I actually do not know..

In the past, and today, I did not compare pc-grafix vs mac-grafix based on drivers.. I did not knew that there was such a big difference in performance just because of the drivers!

I thought it was only the type of card, that made the power..

Still,

It would be nice to have the pro cards..

And when reading between the lines on various locations.. I seems that they are working on it..

Ge4-ce

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.