Workers strike for right to drink on job

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by heehee, Apr 9, 2010.

1. macrumors 68020

heehee

COPENHAGEN–Scores of Carlsberg workers walked off their jobs in protest Thursday after the Danish brewer tightened laid-back rules on workplace drinking and removed beer coolers from work sites, a company spokesman said.

The warehouse and production workers in Denmark are rebelling against the company's new alcohol policy, which allows them to drink beer only during lunch hours in the canteen.

Previously, they could help themselves to beer throughout the day, from coolers placed around the work sites.

The only restriction was "that you could not be drunk at work. It was up to each and everyone to be responsible," company spokesman Jens Bekke said.

Carlsberg had mulled a stricter drinking policy for years and finally decided to impose the new rules on April 1, prompting protests from the staff.

Bekke said that around 800 workers went on strike Wednesday and another 250 staff walked off their jobs Thursday, resulting in interruptions to beer delivery schedules in and around the Danish capital city.

Carlsberg's truck drivers joined the strike in sympathy – even thought they are exempt from the new rules, Bekke said.

The truck drivers are permitted to bring three beers from the canteen because they often don't have time to have lunch there.

The trucks have alcohol ignition locks preventing the drivers from driving drunk, he added.

Associated Press
    :D

2. macrumors G5

yg17

If the strike gets the company to reinstate the old rules, I'm moving to Denmark and working for Carlsburg.

3. macrumors G5

Consultant

I never knew alcoholics have that kind of resolve. ;p

I found "alcohol ignition locks" really cool.
    Maybe they should have a texting ignition locks too?

4. macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

5. macrumors 68000

xlii

If you are going to strike... strike for something meaningful... and if free beer on the job doesn't qualify, then I don't know what does.

6. macrumors 68000

dextertangocci

7. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Wonder why there hasn't been a move in the motor industry to have all cars fitted with some sort of electronic breathaliser ignition system...

8. macrumors regular

lordjonny

Although i agree, i can see that it wouldn't take long for people to get someone else to start your car or find a way to start the car bypassing it and then claiming that although youd had a drink the car said it was "ok!" and therefore allowing a superbly unattackable defence in our mighty fine and might i say very just court rooms (UK)! i hope its obvious which bit i was being sarcastic about :D

9. macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

after reading this, i really want a job in carlsberg :D

10. macrumors 6502a

millar876

carlsberg - probably still the best workplace in the world.

11. macrumors 65816

juanm

12. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Good to hear. For a second there, I was worried.

13. macrumors 603

Stella