Workgroups don´t show in Panther

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stike, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Hello people,

we are right now in a LAN, with 2 Macs and one PC. We used directory access to go to the same workgroup, so we could transfer files. The problem is:

The other Mac has the active workgroups available, but my Panther Mac has not. We both use 10.3.2 and have Windows Sharing and Filesharing on.

How am I supposed to browse for workgroups if they are not listed? Good job, Apple, really... :( Jaguar worked far better here...

2. Jimador macrumors newbie

Firewalls can cause problems. Check your settings

3. Stike thread starter macrumors 65816

Stike

Nope, this is not the cause. We have our Firewalls disabled...!

4. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Stike, have the same problems here. I've got a peecee on the LAN. Not really a problem here but you are right, apple took it away in Panther.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Are you saying one Mac can see the workgroups and one cannot? You connect through a router? A hub?

Both running 10.3.2? Hmmmm....

I had a problem with 10.3.2 and my wired PC network when the PC's wireless card wasn't disabled. I disabled it and it froze up my Mac (was in the prcess of connecting) I had to restart but t worked.

Also, just cmd+K in finder and type smb://pcname and it should work if all else fails.

And then it could be that Finder needs a while before being able to list items in the Network browser.

Can you ping the PC and other working mac?

6. Stike thread starter macrumors 65816

Stike

Thats right, one Mac sees the servers (mine too) and I dont. We are connected by wire only and no wireless method is implemented. I can connect to the computers with CMD+K, although I have to type in the IP and this is anything than convenient...
    And: No, the Finder never ever shows the other computers. I am currently looking at the Apple Discussion Forums... seems to be very bad in 10.3.

7. Stike thread starter macrumors 65816

Stike

WAAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

I got it!!!

Okay, I repaired permissions, and it really worked out that I can see the servers now... dont ask :p

Repairing permissions, the ultimate thing to help your system.

EDIT: Out of nowhere, the server icons disappeared again, and dont come back... sick stuff. Can anyone help me out? Please?