Working at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Community' started by LeeTom, May 31, 2004.

1. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Hi,
    I'm considering getting a job as a Mac Genius at an Apple Store. I would like to know any of the following from someone that knows:

What is the starting hourly pay for a Mac Genius?

What are the possibilities for raises (how much/how often)?

Are they pretty flexible about taking time off? I've got a band that tours occasionally.

Is it fun, or does it just suck?

Thanks!
    Lee Tom

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A friend of mine is perfect for the job, applied several times, and never even got a callback. It must be a seller's market for those jobs.

If you get hired, I wonder if they'd let your band play there too? What type of music do you play?

3. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Apple is for the most part, looking for "super sellers" for most of it's staff. Just a passion for Macs is not enough to get you a job at the Apple Store. You need retail experience, and have to convince them that you can move merchandise like no other. I also think Apple is looking for people who wouldn't easily breach their NDA...

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

At the Apple store in Tokyo, the good ones sell without selling. Very low key and effective. There when you need them, but back off when you are thinking/evaluating. Never pestering like other stores that I have been in.

Good memory is a plus as well. For example, the person who sold me my PB15 recognized me immediately when I entered the store. Yet it had been 5 months since I saw him last. Good memory. He came up and gave a simple greeting like long time no see, how are you doing type, then went along his way

Needless to say, if I buy another item, I will be going back to him. He can figure on a PB12 and mini iPod for starters.

As for your comment about those with previous experience, that is so true. I had a very enjoyable discussion with the manager when the store opened. He was very happy to have hired some key sales folks from the Gap and other like stores in Tokyo. So your comments are right on.

Bottom line, is that Apple wants to move their merchandise so they are going to create a team that will do it for them.

Sushi

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

sushi- i think part of that is a cultural difference, some americans like a sales person to take the drivers seat, of course this is not everyone or maybe not even people on this site, but some people enjoy having a slaes person walking through stuff with them.

6. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

Having twice visited the Apple Store in Raleigh-Durham, I can assure you that Apple does not exclusively hire "power-sellers." Apparently, some Apple Stores are perfectly okay with the "slacker who hangs out in that mysterious back room" type.

I also spoke to a friend who visited the Apple Store in Charlotte to pick up some Harman Kardon Soundsticks. The sales guy spent ten minutes trying to talk her out of her purchase, telling her the Creature Speakers were so much better. Whether he was right or not - the Soundsticks are $100 more and she made it clear that she was no audiophile, she just wanted the prettiest speakers in her living room.

Not exactly a power-seller.

7. sketchy macrumors regular

The apple store is very strict on the non disclosure bit. employees are banned from posting to forums, etc. It is a fireable offense. Pay differs with location, the sellers are sellers, the geniuses are a different stock there. they do less personal selling and more repairs, but they have to be able to cover the floor in heavy moments. They also take a hands off approach with selling. They say hi when you come in, but leave you alone until you look confused or look for one of them.

good personal skills and hardware and software knowledge are need for the genius positions. They spend at least half their day with people, so personal skills are probably more desired for hiring. they can teach you the hardware stuff in training.

Dave

8. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

That's definitely not me. I am of the opinion that a good salesperson should be like a good waiter: there when you need them, and otherwise unnoticed.

I also don't buy into the false friendliness of the "Hi, how are you today?" salespeople automatically dispense when you walk in their door. If anything, it's meant to deter shoplifters by letting you know that they know you're there. And I hate it when a salesperson calls me by name when they don't actually know me, just because they read it off my credit card. Come on, who do you think you're fooling, people?

Of course, I'm pretty used to my opinions not being held by the majority of the American public, so this probably is no different. :D

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agreed about cultural differences. They do exist for sure.

In this case, I would say that the sales people will also take the driver's seat as well. But you have to want it, they don't force it upon you. Non intrusive style if you will.

In my experience (I was trying to decide which PB to get 12, 15 or 17) they were there walking me through things, the differences, the benefits, etc. Then quickly backed off to allow my wife and I to think. Yet one look, and they were there ready to assist. Then pull back again.

To me it felt the same as being in a good restaurant where the waiter/waitress anticipates your needs. Enjoyable experience.

I am looking forward to visiting an Apple store in the states one of these days to compare. As you say, it might just be the cultural differences, but I hope not.

Sushi

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

In my opinion working at an Apple retail store is overrated. I work for an Apple reseller and repair shop so I get to learn how to fix Macs with our stores technician, and I get to learn sales stuff as well. Its been great learning experience for me, my advice look for a local mom and pop Apple store and try to get employed there, you will meet a lot of interesting people and they are more likely to be flexible with hours and pay.

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

oddly enough I used to work as a waiter before i got my promotion.

the culutral comment was about the sales style. I don't think the sales people get too much advanced info, I mean apple doesn't always stock these products before they're announced. either way i think the advice about a local shop is good, being more well rounded is a plus.

12. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I would love to get paid to repair macs. I agree with you that working at an apple store is overrated. Even with all the cool macs there, I could see that job getting boring after a while. Though, it would be cool to play with the new macs right when they are released.

13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

My favorite things about being employed would have to be repairing Macs, its always interesting to see what is inside a computer, you also learn how annoying millions of tiny screws can be;) If your a tinkerer and you enjoy working with your hands there is nothing more pleasing then seeing a computer work again that you fixed yourself.