working at compUSA etc

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax, Apr 19, 2003.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

hey guys...

my parents have been getting at me to apply for a summer job; i was thinking i would like to sell macs at one of the 2 places that do in austin, Comp USA or Fry's. I was kind of disturbed by some of the comments tossed out in that best buy thread in the news section though.

what do you guys think about working there, the chances that i would be able to sell macs (18 no job experience, a summer of volunteering at a hospital in various and sometimes social positions), and anything else important? if i can't, i'll probably end up a clerk or something at a book store around here.... i am leery about selling something like MSN, lol.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well i think the only problem you might run into is finding a place that needs a mac person... you're gonna be fighting for the job (if available) with other mac-heads from your area...

i think generally these places aren't afraid to hire people in HS/college, as they're sometimes the only people able to keep up with the technology... and these are entry-level places... so like i said, find a place with a mac opening and dazzle them with your prowess... it'll work out great :)

pnw

3. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

should i try to get some sort of certification, or just demonstrate a reasonable level of proficiency with everything? i know iTunes and iChat and mail and sherlock backwards and forwards, though i am lacking a bit with iPhoto and a lot with iMovie... i could also dazzle someone with terminal, but then that's probably pretty useless. i'm also way familiar with windows, so i can contrast them pretty well and stuff, but all of that is unofficial...

4. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Ceritification for a sales job? There's no way you'd need that. All you need is a good idea of current product lines and how to use the OS and basic consumer software.

5. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

so would i need some sort of course in iMovie, then? i have played around a tiny bit, but it kinda weirds me out.

6. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

You should probably know iPhoto and iMovie, but these apps are really intuitive. I was able to edit using iMovie on the first day my school got an iMac for the purpose (this was in 6th grade, mind you). iPhoto is a really easy to use app. I suggest playing around with them for a while. Post your questions if you have any. If you have a hard time using the software then get a book on it.

7. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

i suppose i could snag some literature on it by the time school gets out.

come to think of it, i am pretty proficient with iPhoto; i just never use it because i prefer to organize my own library and use Photoshop.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I've always wanted to work at Fry's... In Austin.... We may end
    up working together eventually. But I am only 16... How early do
    they hire?

9. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

i dunno. never seen anyone that looked under 18 working there, but you never know, till you ask. you should go check it out (or wait for someone more knowledgeable to reply)

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

when you go, are there always groups of workers just sitting
    on the washing machines talking? Whenever I go there are
    employees just sitting around talking. Kind of wierd. One of the
    reasons I want to work there too. :p ;)

11. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

trashy man :p.

i want to go there because i don't see anyone sharp about macs there. it's worse at compUSA, but i will go there and totally own any salesman. they just don't keep abreast of things, lol.

that and i really don't want to sell anyone anything but macs. barring that, i think i'll work at a book store :rolleyes:

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i would say you can learn things like iMovie as you go along. Play with it a bit, just to know where features are in menus and how it's organized...

i agree, certification would be a bit much, tho it would definitely come in handy later in a technician job, if the job market so allows... tho i think the tech sector is starting to be inundated by all those people that went into college during the height of the tech rush... i digress...

I think a good solid knowledge of the hardware line is your best asset here, their main concern is obviously figuring out which model is perfect for a person and then trying to sell them the next higher model :) it also wouldn't hurt to show knowledge of new/upcoming technologies that show promise of making it to the product...

btw best of luck :)

pnw

13. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

i guess the fact that i look at mac rumors daily keeps me on the bleeding edge as far as upcoming stuff, though i can't imagine they would want me to be speculating about updates... i think i would anyway, occasionally, if i thought it was in my buyer's best interest, but hey...

thanks man :)

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

The apple people at CompUSA and Fry's are pitiful. I know more
    than them...... Ugh. They make me mad. :rolleyes: ;)

15. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I've been to both of the stores you speak of, and if I had to make a decision between the two, I'd go with CompUSA. If Frys pays more, and that's what you want, then go there, but I would hate to be an employee there... I have a feeling you'd end up doing a lot more than pushing Macs. I don't mind going there, but working there looks like it would be a b*tch...

The CompUSA, on the other hands, is a nice quiet store, although they don't have as much stuff to play with as Frys...

You know what's funny... Every time my family goes to Austin, we eat at that Sea Island restaurant, and then go to Frys... It's a tradition... Anyways, I'm going to be in Austin next year at UT... Hopefully Apple will put in an Apple store. Either way, though, I know how I can become an Apple rep on campus. I've got connections :cool:

Good luck, though, Shadowfax.

16. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Man, it's been 9 years since I've been in Austin. I visited the city when I was in the service stationed in Texas. It's a great town! Especially 6th Street. How's the economy down there? Has the city population swelled as big as I've heard it has?

17. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

It depends on your skills...

If you want a retail job, I'd say, go ahead for the CompUSA or Fry's job. DO you want a retail job? Your call.

If you know a lot of the programs on the Mac (FCP, etc.) I'd say: find a film post production company who may need an errand boy and get in good with them.

One way to do that is to find one that impresses you and tell them your story, ask them for their advice -- whether they'd need an errand boy -- and tell them that you're so enthusiastic and such a go-getter that you wouldn't mind working for them for free for 2 weeks (this will help you get in because they won't mind getting free help, and in the meantime they're impressed with your confidence, enthusiasm, etc. At the end of two weeks they may have grown to like you and want you to stay on. It happens a lot. You may want to think about this route.)

At least if you start as an errand boy, you could move up to editing assistant which doesn't pay bad. In fact, depending on how well you adapt, could pay quite nicely; VERY NICELY for someone 18 in fact. And you'd probably have some of the best versions of Macs and Mac software at your disposal. When Summer ends, you may still have a job there.

IMHO. Best of luck. :D

18. guitargeek macrumors regular

The thing to remember with retail is this:

You need no experience whatsoever.

As long as you can tell the monitor from a printer, you're probably all set. I seriously doubt that you'd need to take a course of some sort just to get hired.

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

this is what i would do. i would learn every basic program has to offer. imovie, iphoto, itunes, ical, isync, mail, you know what im talking about. it would be good to have a certain field of expertese, like video, which you would know final cut and imovie, audio you would know logic, live, and those apps, design with illustrator photoshop, indesign quark. i would reccomend mac os x software, hardware, and server certification, but they each one is in the prices of the hundred of hundreds last time i remember. once you get the job though, they may send you to apples sales training which is real fun. i would just apply, look professional, and let them know you know much about macs. I guarentee you if you know the core apps(which is what most consumers are interested in) and show them what they want in a easy fashion you can seal the deal. selling is an art by itself. its also good to know about windows so you can compare and contrast with them. these are only a few tactics i use when i sell macs. its a learning process, just get the job first.

iJon

20. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

i should mention i don't have any interest in being a career salesmen, and only mild interest in the film editing/design fields... i am going for CS major out of state in august, so all of this would have to take place over a period of ~2.5 months...

21. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Then maybe you should do what you love...

If it's CS than, maybe you should do something related to it like CompUSA, but if I were you and my interest was CS, I'd spend my time either with a professional group that uses those skills so you can get the broadest view of the industry you wish to enter.

Call up CEOs and CTOs of tech companies and ask them for their opinion what THEY would do to prepare for the job market, where they think the industry is going and their thoughts on ecommerce. Let their expertise work for you.

Use the next 2.5 months to develop a 2-3 year game plan about how you can learn as much as you can, as fast as you can, how you can really enjoy the learning process and how to make yourself MARKETABLE. If you have the big picture in mind -- and if professionals in the chosen field can give that to you -- then you can overcome any obstacle.

It is said that Caesar Augustus was credited for spending a few days in the marketplace of Rome posing as begger every year. In that time he simply listened to anybody who would share their point of view. From that he gathered enough information to plot his strategy for the next year. Maybe being a sponge for information right now may be the best thing you can do for yourself? More valuable than some lowly job?

Best of luck. My $0.02. :D

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

gene has a good point, its hard to do something your not really interested in. macs are fun but they can be very hard to sell sometimes considering the windows world. its hard to get people to take a second look at a computer you are offering. and to get people to have interest you have to have interest in selling. its like the people at best buy, they dont have any pride in what they are selling. i see many people at resellers and apple stores who all they want to do is do anything to get a mac in your home. if your not interested in selling then i wouldnt do it. if you need money then look for a job around what your really interested in, which is cs. if not you may be better off buying some books at bn and learning more on programming and the stuff you are interested in.

iJon

23. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

i dunno, perhaps i could both come up with said plan and get a job?

not everyone gets to do what they want, methinks, in a summer job before college. my parents are ragging on me to get some money (just why, i don't know; i got a free ride to school, but i guess for odds and ends...)

I am of course very enthusiastic about macs; i've never really tried to sell one, but i think i could transfer my enthusiasm pretty easily. i guess we'll see.

24. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Don't you think an apple sore on the drag would be PERFECT?!!?!?

We NEED one!

25. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'd say yes, since I'm going to be there next semester. Of course, Austin isn't quite as big as San Antonio, which I believe may get one first. Although Austin has all the creative types who buy Macs... Apple would fit in perfectly... San Antonio is more of a cowboy, windoze type of town. That's just the way I see it...