Working in a Studio

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blvdeast, Apr 6, 2004.

1. blvdeast macrumors regular

I just registered at Five Towns College at Long Island, and have only 3 hours of class a day, that leaves a lot of free time and I want to use it productivly. First of all, I chose Five Towns (anyone goes/went there??) because it was the only college around me that offered a complete audio tech course without the extra liberal arts stuff. I am majoring in Audio Tech. and plan to work in a recording/tv/radio studio. I am not the liberal student that will get the major then move back home and wait a few years to find a job. I plan on working from the first day of class and get as much training as I can. I already mastered GB on my iBook and have a pretty good understanding of Cool Edit.
    My question is for anyone that works in a studio. Do you have any tips on what I can do to prepare? While I was at the school, I was reading some magazines, and one of them was Mix, they had a lot of info on this, any suggestions for other magazines? And any other advice is welcome.
    And just to mention, the Mix magazine had pictures of studios, not one PC, all Macs. My dream office.
    You can IM me at NeverKnowingFear @ AIM or a regular PM if you want

2. kanker macrumors 6502

First, if your iBook can boot into OS 9 (not Classic mode), download ProTools free and try to get your head around PT. Another thing to do is order Apple Pro Training Series: Logic 6 to get a little knowledge and experience with Logic. Read the book, then order the 30 day demo. Go to OSXAudio and read the forums. Ask questions, lots of knowledge to be had there. Check out demos of Reason and Live, and any other demos you can get your hands on. Listen critically to lots of different records in a wide variety of styles, check out lots of movies. Figure out why they're mixed the way they're mixed- make your ears adaptable. Most important, have fun doing it.

3. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Could not have said it better.

I recommend Sound On Sound magazine. You also might want to check out the book, Modern Recording Techniques. It was written by David Miles Huber. Modern Recording for Musicians for Dummies is one of the only Dummies books that didn't irritate me. It's very good, for a beginner. Written by Jeff Strong.

Dan

4. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

5. blvdeast thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies, I did download ProTools, but how do I load OS 9? BTW, ever since I reinstalled OSX 10.3, I can't run Classic anymore. Do I have to install OS 9? I have the three Panther CDs and 5 iBook Software Restore CD's. How do I get OS 9?

6. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

If you already had OS 9 on the system when you installed OS X then it should still be there, unless you did a format and clean install. If you have the install CD for OS 9 boot to that (hold C key down while booting) and re-install OS 9 (suggested to upgrade to OS 9.2.2 from free downloads on apple support site). If you have partitioned the HD then place OS 9 on a separate partition from OS X (recommended by many). Also during the OS X install you had to make sure the "allow OS 9......" option was selected when installing or else Panther will not recognize OS 9.

Anyone else?

7. blvdeast thread starter macrumors regular

I do not have a OS 9 disc, only thr panther discs and the software restore cds for the ibook. If I use that CD, it will restore my computer, me losing everything. I did not partition my HD, but I have an external with 3 partitions (OSX, Backup, Work space for music/video). I could save my stuff at the external and do the restore, but is OS 9 in those cd's? (5 total)
    I very stupidly wanted to partition my HD and used the Disk Utility, and we sll know what happens when yo udo that. I lost everything, reintalled Panther, and bought the exxternal HD afterwards.

8. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

This is getting a bit off topic, but...

I'm not completely sure about this. I am in the process of upgrading to Panther at work. We already had OS 9.2.2 on the machine so I didn't even question weather it was on the install disk for Panther. If you know a friend who has a OS9 install disk see if they will let you borrow it. I'm not sure it can be purchased anymore (maybe e-bay). We haven't thoroughly migrated to Panther yet so there may be a lot of issues I'm not aware of yet. But I do have 2 separate HDs in the G3 (now a G4-800) a 12gb which was the original and a new Maxtor 80gb HD that I have installed Panther on. I just have the OS 9 folder (on the 12gb) set for the startup disk until we're ready to go fully to Panther. In the meantime Panther sits on the 80gb just waiting to be used. When I installed it I just pointed the installer to the OS 9 System folder and told it that was my "Classic" OS.
    But, like I say you need to get an OS 9 install disk and start from there.
    Sorry I couldn't help more.

9. blvdeast thread starter macrumors regular

Alright I found out that I can't boot OS9 from my iBook, so I have to run ProTools from classic. I installed classic from the Restore CD's. I found Pro Tools to be non-user friendly when it came to its interface. I guess it will just take time to learn. The problem is with GB I have the loops and samples there to work with. With ProTools I need actual Midi files or instruments (very very bad saxophone/guitar player) to train with. Are there sites or software bundles that offer these Midi's/Samplers? My plan would be just to import them and work around it.

10. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

When i lived on long island i spoke to a guy who ran a studio that had a degree from five towns. Said he was unimpressed and didn't learn anything he didn't already know. His take on it was that he pretty much paid a few thousand just to get a printed piece of paper...

11. blvdeast thread starter macrumors regular

That is the first negative review I have heard from the school. I guess everyone learns on a different level and knows more/less then others. Just for curiosity, when did he graduate? I know the school is somewhat new, established in the late 70's and if he was one of the earlier students then it might have been their "learning to be a college" mode. It does cost a lot more then a few thousand dollars, but compared to the other private colleges, it is ok. I'm in already so can't do much, but interesting he felt like that.

12. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

The guy was actually a friend of a friend. I met him only a couple of times. He did not graduate that long ago. I met him 3 years ago and he graduated not long before that (year or two maybe). He had been a musician most of his life and had a passion for music, so its possible he learned much on his own. Everyone gets different things out of school. I spend a lot of time doing independent learning in my field, so in my experience many classes moved too slow. Everyone is different.