Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Josh-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Hey everyone -
I just heard that if you bounce too much with a classic it may ruin it, because it has a hard drive. Does this mean a Nano would be recommended for intense jogs on a treadmill or an elliptical because of the constant movement?

Any advise?

Thanks,

Josh

-Josh-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
This is confusing.
I use to use my Zen vision M all the time at the gym, I had no problems with it. It had a hard drive as well.
That thread goes back and forth, it seems like it's all opinion.

I'm getting no where.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Any music player with a hard drive (like the classic) is more LIKELY to suffer damage if jostled heavily during usage, while flash based music players (like a nano) don't have any moving parts, so chances of it being damaged if jostled during use is nil.

I ran for years with my 3G iPod (hard-drive, of course) without problems, but have heard many stories of people whose iPods didn't last more then a few months when used while jogging.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
I'd be much less concerned about dropping a Nano during a high speed activity such as running than I would a Classic. Heck, even a Shuffle should do the trick, just one random playlist of loud, fast tracks to keep you pumped :D

talz13

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2005
Any music player with a hard drive (like the classic) is more LIKELY to suffer damage if jostled heavily during usage, while flash based music players (like a nano) don't have any moving parts, so chances of it being damaged if jostled during use is nil.

I ran for years with my 3G iPod (hard-drive, of course) without problems, but have heard many stories of people whose iPods didn't last more then a few months when used while jogging.

When I jog with my 20g 4th gen, I just hold the ipod in my hand instead of putting it in my pocket or something. Much less shock to it that way, since the arm provides some vibration dampening compared to flopping back and forth in a pocket. I just picked up a new 80g classic, so I'll probably just keep using my 4th gen for jogging (just in case)

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
This is confusing.
I use to use my Zen vision M all the time at the gym, I had no problems with it. It had a hard drive as well.
That thread goes back and forth, it seems like it's all opinion.

I'm getting no where.

Sorry to confuse things. The bottom line is the Classic will be more prone to damage than the nano...

I think the answer to your question depends on what you really want to know:

Q: Can you use the Classic while working out without it breaking?
A: Probably.
Q: Are the odds of damaging a classic while working out better than the odds of damaging a nano while working out?
A: Yes.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Hey everyone -
I just heard that if you gay bounce too gay much with a classic it may gay ruin it, because it has a gay hard gay drive. Does this mean a gay Nano would be recommended for gay intense gay jogs on a treadmill or an elliptical gay because of the constant gay movement?

Any advise?

Thanks,

Josh

nano would work better

Applespider

macrumors G4
I used to run with a hard-drive iPod. It was fine so long as I stuck to the playlist that I'd put in since then it was able to buffer enough to keep the songs playing. If I started skipping songs, then I'd find that the music started skipping. Obviously, the motion was jolting the hard drive even though the iPod managed to compensate some of the time.

The Nano is a better shape for running with - easier to tuck in a pocket or an armband and Nike+ is great.

Then again, if you're going to be more on exercise bikes or ellipticals rather than the treadmill, having a Classic and watching a movie while working out might appeal. The Nano's screen might be a bit small for doing that.

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
an ipod doesn't get jolted when you are runing. you bounce up and down but there is no impact to the actual ipod, unless you have it in your shoe or something. this is just absurd. im sure a few people here or there have had issues but really maybe they had a faulty ipod or some other issue, there is no way to know that it was because of the light jostling that goes on when your running.

that said id always go smaller with something you run or exercise with.

-Josh-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Thanks guys -
I was going to just use an armband with my ipod classic, does it bounce a lot then?
I'll go ahead and get a classic rest assured that my old HD based mp3, Zen vision m, had no problems.

I can't handle just choosing some songs to bring with me. It's so impossible. I much rather spend $50 more and have my entire collection with me. That's the only reason I'm not going nano.

Josh

EDIT: Scratch that, i'm nano bound.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
hmm...

an ipod doesn't get jolted when you are runing. you bounce up and down but there is no impact to the actual ipod, unless you have it in your shoe or something. this is just absurd. im sure a few people here or there have had issues but really maybe they had a faulty ipod or some other issue, there is no way to know that it was because of the light jostling that goes on when your running.

that said id always go smaller with something you run or exercise with.

Some people run differently. Some people run trails.

It all depends.

That being said, the size and weight of the nano make it ideal for running. I bought a refurbished 2g nano specifically for running (and Nike+) and I couldn't be happier, but I already had a video iPod. I'm not sure I'd want to have a nano as my only iPod.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Then again, if you're going to be more on exercise bikes or ellipticals rather than the treadmill, having a Classic and watching a movie while working out might appeal. The Nano's screen might be a bit small for doing that.

My boss bought a 5G for exactly that, but uses his iPhone now.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Thanks guys -
I was going to just use an armband with my ipod classic, does it bounce a lot then?
I'll go ahead and get a classic rest assured that my old HD based mp3, Zen vision m, had no problems.

I can't handle just choosing some songs to bring with me. It's so impossible. I much rather spend $50 more and have my entire collection with me. That's the only reason I'm not going nano.

Josh

I run with an iPod mini in an armband and skip through songs rather often since I just put the player in full shuffle mode. It has never skipped or failed. My 3G 20GB would freeze occasionally during running with it clipped on my shorts at the center of my back. My running is mostly on roads or treadmill.

The Classic would be fine but a nano would eliminate any risk of hard drive failure and would be more comfortable due to its smaller size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.