Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have done a lot of wikimedia editing. On another site, X-Men Wiki I frequently add images to an article, and there I must first upload the image into the site's image database.

My question for MacRumors Guides-

1. In a MacRumors Guide, can I link to an external image and display it?
2. How do I upload an image to be displayed in a MacRumors Guide?

Thanks!
-Dave

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yes you can link to an image externally. Just click the image button in a new post (the yellow button with a mountain). See attachment.

Or you can use the attachment feature too as I have here.

Attachments

• Screen capture 1.png
    Screen capture 1.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 203

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes you can link to an image externally. Just click the image button in a new post (the yellow button with a mountain). See attachment.

Or you can use the attachment feature too as I have here.

I see the yellow mountain icon in forum posts, but actually I am speaking of the MacRumor Guides which are done in wiki markup. There is no yellow mountain icon there (not that I see).
Thanks!
-Dave

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ok, figured it out. There is a "upload file" link on the left side of the Guide edit page that says upload "file", (not "image"). Anyway you upload the image, keep track of the name you assign it including the file suffix. I don't know what limits there are regarding image formats such as .jpg vs .gif vs .tif, but .jpg worked for me. Then in the Guide edit page, select the imbedded file icon that looks like a landscape. It inserts a default image name between double brackets. You replace the default name with the name of the image you uploaded.

Check it out in preview mode before saving.

EDIT: In a MacRumors Guide is it possible to display an image from another location on the internet similar to using the "img" tag in a forum post? Thanks.

Last edited:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Conveniently enough, we have a guide explaining how to upload and display images. We do not currently allow inline linking of images, so everything must first be uploaded to the Guides and then displayed in articles.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Conveniently enough, we have a guide explaining how to upload and display images. We do not currently allow inline linking of images, so everything must first be uploaded to the Guides and then displayed in articles.

I just posted that guide a couple of days ago. Thanks for noticing. :) Over at Wiki Entertainment, images must uploaded to the sites database before they can be displayed. Is it possible that wiki markup does not allow for display of images not uploaded? Thanks.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I just posted that guide a couple of days ago. Thanks for noticing. :) Over at Wiki Entertainment, images must uploaded to the sites database before they can be displayed. Is it possible that wiki markup does not allow for display of images not uploaded? Thanks.

Heh...didn't notice you were responsible for it. Thanks for posting it. :)

Some wiki software can support the display of external images, usually just by recognizing the plain URL of the image. Most wikis don't allow it though, and I'm not sure if our software even has it as an option.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
^^^This forum (and hence this thread) is for discussion of our Guides based on wiki software. It's essentially completely separate from the forum system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.