Working with Partitions in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by applekid, Jul 16, 2004.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

As you may know, installing OS X on the original iMacs and some other Macs requires OS X to be installed on its own 8 GB partition. Well, I added a 40 GB HD to my iMac many months ago. I couldn't move forward with my upgrades because of GLOD. So I left it alone for, say, two months, and everything is in working order for now. Panther runs fine on it with the 512 MB of RAM I installed. It's great. MacWireless just needs to help me out some more with their 11b USB Adapter, and everything will be complete.

Anyways, I was wondering if there was a way for me to safely move my Applications folder, Users folder, and Developer Tools folder into my remaining partition? I still have about 3 GB left in the partition with the System and everything installed by default plus Developer Tools. I would feel much better if everything was on the bigger partition (minus the OS) to give it room to grow. I have read NetInfo can at least move my Users folder, but my Applications and Developer Tools are still left behind.

Another reason I need to move the data properly is because I want Software Updates to still be able to detect everything properly, and when I install things I want them installed properly as well.

So can anybody help me out? Thanks in advance.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

You can probably move most of your Applications, but some of Apple's apps, any System management app, and probably all high end apps are going to have to stay with the OS. Copy over your apps, and see which ones load separate from the OS and erase them from the OS partition.

3. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Wouldn't that prevent them from being detected when I do an OS upgrade or check for updates through Software Update?

I was in the process of moving the ones that could be moved, then I thought of the above, so I wasn't sure.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Don't even bother moving Apple applications, since many of them will either not work, not be found by Software Update, or both. Third-party apps will be less picky, so it's worth a try on those.

5. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Good, I left all of my Apple apps alone.

I am placing all of my other software on the second partition in its own HD.

I'm sorta surprised nobody has a solution to this. I know of plenty of Mac users with partitions. But then again, I doubt any of them were forced to fit everything in a 8 GB space.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have partitioned my hard drive also, but not because of an 8GB boot partition requirement. The reason I did it was to provide me with a way to dual-boot Panther and Tiger until I no longer need Panther (therefore, the Tiger partition is currently empty).

7. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

I guess there's no solution to my problem.

I did the NetInfo trick someone mentioned to me many months ago somewhere else. It got the Users folder moved and allows me to install apps, but no files for the Library.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Look here

Look here - the later posts mention a solution.

9. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Ah, very good. I'll give a try tomorrow. Thanks a lot to you, cb911, and the people that replied.