Working with your parents

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by question fear, May 14, 2006.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

So for the last few years I've lived several states away from my parents, more out of "I lived here through college and liked it" than from actively avoiding them.
    My father recently invited me to join him in his business, so he could keep expansion "in the family". I said yes, and I am really excited about the opportunity and what I will be learning.
    One question though: have any of you worked as an adult alongside a parent? Is it an easy transition? Any big minefields lurking beneath the surface?
    Overall my dad and I get along fantastically well, we're very similar in personality type, so it's not like we're heading into this butting heads...I am mostly just curious to hear from anyone else how their experiences have gone.
    Thanks!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I'm glad it seems to be working out for you. From my experience in the workforce (though not personal experience) I have seen workmates who are in a relationship - any relationship - have a really hard time drawing aline between home and work when times are tough. Sometimes you need to totally separate your work persona from your home persona, sometimes you might have an argument at work but you have to really try hard to keep that argument where it belongs, same if there's disagreement outside the workplace.

Learn how to draw lines quickly and confidently.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I've found it difficult to employ my children. Too many inappropriate trigger points. It's especially tricky if you already have an established workforce, as it means the "child" has to work twice as hard to prove that they have not got their position only through nepotism.
    Good luck!:rolleyes:

4. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

good point...the upside is that the branch my dad works in has 4-5 other people who are starting/started their careers 10+ years ago with a parent or in-law. So it's a precedent, and I'll have people who are older to go to and say "How do you deal with this?"....

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

it also helps if you are not living with your parents.
    working with family is fine as long as at the end of the day you have your own spaces.

yeah there can be the issue of nepotism or it might be seen as a positive that the company is being kept in the same hands so to speak

:rolleyes:

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

It's commonplace for a family member to join in the business around here.

It didn't work for me, however. But, my father has way too many issues that he did not and will not come to terms with. This inhibited not only our working together, but his success as well. We closed our business after ten years together, and his 30+ years in the business.

It sounds to me like you're going in to a good situation. I find that many times not all of the children in a family can work with their parent(s). I wish you luck! :) :)

7. Sogo macrumors 6502

All in all, I would say at work you should treat your father as a real hardcore boss. He is no longer your caring father but a guy who tells you what to do, even if you don't like it. If you mess up, and he is lecturing or explaing what to do next time to avoid the mistake, Take it as it is. Dont let it touch you personally or emotionally.

Remember that he is angry at the mistake and not at you.

Once outside, let him be your father. Tell him to also leave whatever happens at work at work.

I say this because when i worked for my fahter last year, thats how i managed to deal with him. Or well, thats how he told me to deal with him. I messed up a few times on schedualing appointments and a few other things. He chewed me up and i took it as it was. And he did as well. Once outside i was able to treat him as a father. I was still abel to do ask him for his car even though earlier in the day i messed up an appointment with a client. He actually did let me have it as well.

This also worked because my father was my boss. As in, I wass not part of any of the deals he negotiated. I was simply given money. What i am trying to differenciate is the difference between being a worker and being a partner. To me partners have a differnet set of rules to follow.

8. zoee macrumors newbie

work parents

Parents has an obligation to give a good future to their children.As a work parents of a 4 year old beautiful daughter.I have to manage my time to be sure that I still take good care of my child and guiding to her growing stage.;)