Workplace Drama

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CubaTBird, Oct 27, 2006.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

How do you guys deal with it? Does it get to you? Does the thought of break room banter about someone bother you or could you really careless. Also, what about talking behind peoples backs when they're not around to hear what you have to say? Or how because your at a starting position, higher ups won't even listen to your suggestions because they think your telling them how to do their jobs.

I just wanted how you guys felt about this issue at your workplace if it exists. I just got a job and I find it everywhere!

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I worked at a place where the fans were covered in it. Backstabbing, rumours, lies, sex the lot. I made out I was interested but really couldnt care less so it usually stopped with me and I didnt pass it on.

Just sit back and look at it carefully. It can actually be quite funny how people act around others because of politics. Sometimes it makes you cringe in a 'The Office' kind of way. Just keep your head down and get on with your work. Keep producing good work and you will earn respect from your peers.

3. jdechko macrumors 68040

Probably the best thing to do is just ignore it. If someone comes to me, spilling gossip, I just shrug and go "hmmm". I can't stand people talking ugly about others so I avoid gossip and/or drama altogether. Of course, most of my jobs have been in small(er) companies so there's more of a close feel to it as you tend to know people better and are less prone to gossip (as news spreads fast in a small company).

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

Yes, it's everywhere. Do yourself a favor and stay out of it.

5. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

Totally dude! I guess some things from high school never change.

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yes stay away from workplace drama. One of the hospitals i work at all that happens is backstabbing and lying. It is horrible, so i stay away from it

7. iMetroid macrumors member

I work as an intern with 4 other people. We're all completely different, and being huddled together with limited elbow room makes it interesting. Don't get me started on the, "I didn't pee on the seat! *blames it on office female*" Or the bringing of FRAKING drum sticks to make banging beats into the table easier. :rolleyes:

8. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

haven't really experienced any work related drama though it does help that I'm kind of in my own little world since I'm only dealing with drawings/archival and a hand full of engineers.

Though my cousin is in admin here as a clerk and stuff in that department spreads like wildfire.

9. jamone80 macrumors regular

drama and gossip is pretty much inevitable in an office. the way i deal with it is just by playing dumb. someone tells me about something i jus say, "oh, i didn't know that." that way people dont come to me for information but then i have a general idea of whats going. might as well learn something at work, right ;)