World AIDS Day

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Dec 1, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Nations Promise Better Education, Drug Availability.

Around the globe, candlelight vigils, educational seminars and torchlight parades will mark World AIDS Day. The event is designed to increase awareness about AIDS, educate people about how to prevent its transmission, and express solidarity with those suffering from it.

Cricket players throughout the world are wearing red ribbons to show support for AIDS victims. The red ribbon is a global symbol for solidarity with people living with HIV and AIDS.

I can remember doing patient care at a Veteran's Hospital when AIDS was first known. We put the patient in full isolation. To take care of the patient we put on a gown, gloves, and mask. Once the knowledge if was Universal Precautions for handling all patient bodily fluids. Now my wife says it is called Standard Precautions.
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i decided against wearing a ribbon today... when you're gay in an office, it becomes political :rolleyes:... wound up being offsite most of the day anyway... :rolleyes:... at any rate, it's nice to see india stepping in the right direction with AIDS funding, i think AIDS day is an excellent way to remember the lost and, in many cases, remember the battle that we're still very much fighting. it's hard to fight a disease on two fronts; cure research and treatment... at least when they're this dissimilar... there's only so much money to go around. what do we do, help the victims today or try to prevent more tomorrow?

world AIDS day is a reminder to donate to this important cause, and i urge everyone to try to give something, if you can... one look at the pictures of the orphanages and you'll be glad you did...

the bill and melinda gates foundation has provided a fair amount of money to AIDS causes, including funding much of overseas AIDS relief... something that, all feuding aside, he has really done for the world.

3. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    With this disease prevention is very important. We know how it is transmitted, so if only everyone would refrain from risky behavior.