World Cup Forum

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by lexus, Jun 9, 2006.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

This is just an idea but would it not be a good idea to make a specific World Cup forum. One where soecific games etc can be discussed. I think this is a good idea rather than having one huge thread about the world cup. After it is over you can delete it.

Just a thought

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thanks for the suggestion, lexus. I think it makes sense to keep the forum organization as it is, for a few reasons:

We've avoided favoring particular events or topics in Community Discussion (sports, cars, etc.) because they aren't the focus of the site.

We'd rather not delete threads just because an event is over, because nobody likes to see their posts disappear and some discussions are interesting to read even after the fact.

Having a few long threads shouldn't really be a problem for real-time discussions. We have threads for TV shows that have that same type of long-running conversation, and the Tour de France threads each year, and the occasional Olympics threads, have been popular and successful without their own subforums.

The flipside, which I assume is part of what led you to suggest this, is that with a specific subforum there could be many World Cup threads going at once, about different aspects of the games, without them becoming lost among other Community Discussion threads.

That's my first reaction, but mine isn't the only opinion that maters, so others with thoughts about this should speak up too.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

When the forums were reorganized a thought was to have an entertainment and sports forum. It was decided that fitting it into the community forums was best. Having one long World Cup thread would be a lot simpler then a dedicated forum that could cause more confusion as well as more clutter that would only last a short time.

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I agree with 'Q. If we were to make a ton of sub-forums, it'd get too messy and.. cluttered, and again, this place isn't sports/other stuff focused - pretty much Apple is. But I'm not saying we can't talk about the other stuff in the community discussions, but, we don't want to take off the focus of Apple.

Good suggestion, though. :)

5. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

Ok that is a valid argument, any one else have an opinion?

(I find it irritating reading through really long threads like the lost thread.)

6. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

How about a forum specially for eMac owners who barrack for Australia?. There could be a Kewell sub forum and a Swartzer sub etc...

EDIT: just noticed that massive icon you've got there Dr.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That has been a complaint with long threads but if you are interested in the topic you will stay with it and keep up to date with the discussion.

8. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

For example got into Lost in march, I could not be bothered to read more than 2000 posts to get to where they were now, this is just my general opinion.

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I think its already getting enough great treatment to be honest ... during the NCAA tournament we don't get our thread stickied ... and the baseball thread is a longer and stronger one so far ...

10. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

We could make it a sub-forum for a month.. just for the duration of the tournament.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

This is a forum for people interested in Apple products/news/rumors, and some of the members here happen to be soccer fans too.

I wonder, is there a forum site somewhere that focuses on soccer discussions, but where Mac users might be found discussing Apple products in a Community Discussion area?

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

I agree with Doctor Q on this as well. It is fairly simple to create a thread or two on World Cup stuff, then they will naturally fade into oblivion once the event is over.

Creating sub-forums for every large event or important circumstance du jour will result in clutter and confusion. And deleting them after the event isn't any better, because it's nice to have the history that old threads provide.

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Nah... a World Cup sticky thread is more than enough. You can search for the 'last unread' etc There's a fairly large proportion of the board who the World Cup will pass by - whether for nationality or for just lack of interest in soccer.

If you really want to talk about it in more detail, I'd agree that you should find a soccer message board. Not least since you'll probably get more and likely better informed discussion that you will on a primarily computer board.

14. jdredd macrumors newbie

Self organising World Cup forum

If you are looking for a World Cup forum that organises itself, then http://mailspaces.com/worldcuprumours is probably a good bet - the MailSpaces software "reads" all the incoming email, indexes, groups and hyperlinks it

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member