World Cup on iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JimmyB248, Jun 2, 2006.

1. JimmyB248 macrumors regular

Mar 8, 2006
    I was just looking on the Apple store and saw that they had a big advert for buying a Macbook with a Miglia something or other so that you could watch and record the world cup on your laptop. There's also a picture of the 5g iPod there and it got me thinking, it would be a great way of introducing video into the other countries Music Stores like in the UK, being able to pay £1.89 for a match, and then I guess the prices would go up and up for the semi's and final. It would be a very cool idea in my opinion.

Well, I just want TV shows in the UK, I'm looking at every avenue.
  2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    sounds like a great idea. i have to warn you though, even if it did happen, i doubt it would be a complete match... the basketball games (and back when they did the college football ones) here in the US are only recaps of about 20-30 minutes... better than nothing perhaps, and with soccer it might be less of a big deal (i love watching and playing soccer, but with 0-4 goals a game, there would be less overall suffering from editing it down). just an fyi about how the various sports games have been presented on itunes thus far...

cant' wait til the games start though!
  3. JimmyB248 thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 8, 2006
    I can imagine that happening too, but just imagine the exposure when there's 40 million people watching the world cup and the commentator mentions that you can download the recap of the match off iTunes, now that would be a good move for Apple.
  4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    i totally agree, and i'd hope to see it. and they could have a "follow your favorite team" thing like they do for the US basketball.
  5. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2004
    Not a bad idea except that the BBC are broadcasting every game over the internet for UK broadband users, so paying £1.89 for a match seems a bit pointless. Far better to stump up £99 for the eyeTV and be able to record everything you want. And how often would you want to watch England drawing with Trinidad & Tobago?
  6. JimmyB248 thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 8, 2006
    I personally don't think I'd use it, but the majority of the audience for the world cup have no idea that iTunes sells TV Shows, well, only in the US, but it would be a huge advertiser and get Apple into a real untapped market. I doubt the majority of people would worry about how many times they're going to be able to watch the cup final, £1.89 is a small fee for it, though as you say if the BBC have got it then it would be a bit of a losing battle.
  7. JimmyB248 thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 8, 2006
    Ok, so I'm in a brainstorming mood, things that could happen if the whole video aspect of iTunes takes off in a big way:

(This sort of turned into a wishlist as well)

- Lottery numbers announced via podcast or something similar

- Interactive things like voting who to evict off Big Brother or who you want to win American Idol or something

- If the numbers were big enough, I'd like to see Apple actually branch into having it's own network. In the sense that they could comission their own TV Shows, as it would be paid for by the downloads, cancelling? Well there's no way to lie about the downloads, you can't say it's not showing everyone or people were busy that night, that's the beauty of the iTMS.

- Advanced showings of a TV shows premiere for free (I know they've started doing this already, but it's a great way of enticing the viewers, and I think if every pilot were free it would be a great way, sort of an advance on the 30 second preview option).

- Movies. But when do these get released? When the DVD's do? When they stop being shown at the cinema? When the film get's released at the cinema? That sure would stop a lot of bootleg copies. This would be interesting to think about.

- Multi-pass function expanded to be similar to the podcast subscription, no need to click "Check for purposes".

- Shows to be added the minute after they're aired on TV.

- Similar to an earlier one, but maybe have a free download of the week of independant films/shows that have been made by people who haven't been given a budget by network or anything, depending on the success maybe it could be picked up by a network, or just simply added as a TV show, this would be interesting to see, $1.99 going straight to the creators, it would give them their own budget to create whatever show they wanted, they want good effects, they can hire people or just do it themselves. No network execs saying what is needed, no censorship, complete freedom.

- iTMS real life stores. Sometimes it's nice to just get out of the house and it's fun to be able to look around a store when looking to buy. Just walk in with your laptop, connect wirelessly with your iTunes account. Could be a fun shop.

- Music concerts/festivals available, this will no doubt be available soon, not as individual songs like now in the Music Videos section.

The obvious things:

Higher resolution
    Some sort of 'Buy Every Episode' function, discount for buying an entire series
    Special features such as commentarries available as seperate audio tracks
    More meta-data such as the cast and crew details

K I haven't slept in 72 hours and I'm all out. This post may well simply be me typing 'jjjjjjjjjjjjj' repeatedly and I honestly wouldn't know.

Any revolutionary ideas you guys got?
  8. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2003
    San Diego
    Can we watch this in the US too?
  9. JimmyB248 thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 8, 2006
    No I'm pretty sure it's like the way that ABC show their shows to only American users, checks the IP or something. There may be some way of getting around this, but officially it's just for the UK.